Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please! Oil on intake manifold after heads install...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Please! Oil on intake manifold after heads install...

I keep getting this ticking sound that comes on around 2500-4000rpm on decel and when I looked under the hood there was oil on the driver's side of the intake manifold. I am stumped! All of the header bolts were tight as well as the intake bolts, although i am missing 1 bolt. I didnt think this would cause oil to shoot up but I am left assuming this is the case. Is there anything else I can check? The oil is all over the drivers side and the firewall only on the intake next to the fuel pressure regulator.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the valve cover gasket. The intake manifold is dry and not exposed to coolant or oil.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Have you checked to make sure the hose is connected to the rear part of the valve cover? Like mentioned above check the valve cover gaskets. If overtightened they will leak.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

In addition to the "standard" PCV lines and valve covers, what about the oil pressure sensor? You could have alway wacked it when you installed the intake manifold.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replies. I checked the oil pressure sensor(read about too many broken ones), the valve covers were torqued properly so I dont think they were over tightened but I checked them anyways and they look fine along the gasket, the pcv hoses are all in place and none have moved. The only thing I can think of is the manifold bolt bolts down into the head next to the pushrod hole. Could oil come up from there under load?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

nope......the bolt holes go into the water jacket of the head so if anything you would have coolant leaking. Is the oil ALL OVER or just in an area? I would say take the car up and gunk/pressure wash the entire engine off. Then you will be able to see where the oil comes from.