Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what else do i need for my cam swap??checklist

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what else do i need for my cam swap??checklist

I have a 2000 ws6 trans am 6 speed has only 11k miles on it and i want to put a cam in it.I want the car to appear stock,look stock,sound stock.So i am leaving stock manifolds on it.I want the cam just to give it an edge.So far my list consists of ::
:Thunder racing 220/220/ 114 camshaft kit comes with
:comp 26918 springs(Will i have to change these every 20k miles or anything)
:thunder racing pushrods.stock length
o I need titanium retainers?Or hardened spring seats?
:modified ls6 oil pump
:Jwis single timing chain
:ASP underdrive crank pulley
:And gasket set from TR

Not sure on the titanium retainers or spring seats.The car is a weekend car that is taken care of and not beaten on,maybe 1 trip the the drag strip a year,I will be leaving the rev limiter set to stock and only race it every now and then on the street.Dont want to change my valve springs again after this so let me know if those will do the trick.Also let me know if you think i need anything else.thanks a lot guys any help or tips would be great.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

i don't think your car will SOUND stock after u put the cam in. and may i ask why would u want it to sound stock after a cam install?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the stock exhaust on the car,the car has not been touched yet with any mods and i really dont want people to know its there,want a nice stock like idle.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a stock idle you should do some long tube headers, it will sound stock at idle, loud at WOT.
Even with stock exhaust you'll be able to hear that cam, the only thing you will be doing is killing your potential horsepower numbers.
If you want a decent power edge, get a powerdyne supercharger with a alky/water injection kit. From what I've heard the powderdyne chargers dont produce the best numbers but are pretty quiet
Old 08-15-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

What cam would you guys recommend then,I really dont want to hear to much of it.Once again i want to leave the rest of the car stock and just give it an extra kick.I really need to know if i will need titanium retainers with a smaller cam and what springs would be best,because if i use the comp 918's i dont want to have to change them every 25k or anything.Need some more input.thanks for the suggestions guys but not what i am looking to do anytime soon.