Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam for 383 PLEASE help.

Hi i'm new to LS-1 Tech and i figured if anyone knew this it would be you guys. Alright the story goes .... I blew my stock motor(yes completely stock) at 81,000mi. I am re-using the block and got the 383 stroker kit by Eagle. Yes cheap but all the money i had. Now i need to pick out a good cam for it. I want almost radical but still streetable. I want it to sound mean as hell but have alot of power. I plan on getting head work done later on so something that will work good with some ported ls-6 heads or aftermarket heads. Can change it later if needed. Not gonna be spraying it. Just want a good cam for the 383 that will make crazy power and lope ALOT. But has to be streetable with stock gears. Car is a 99 SS M6. If u need any other info let me know. I just can't figure out what i want in it . One of my buddy's that has a SS told me to go with something around a 238-244 dur. with 112 lobe sep. Sound about right or too big?

Last edited by YeahIt'sReal; 08-14-2004 at 05:27 PM. Reason: change title so someone might help
Old 08-14-2004, 06:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by YeahIt'sReal : Today at 03:27 PM. Reason: change title so someone might help
hence the reason for the search button, you dont have to wait for answeres . we've had a couple of recent stroker cam threads, shouldnt be to hard to find.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

hence me putting that i'm new to ls-1 tech. but thanks. and like the warm welcome
Old 08-14-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey don't take JRP too serious,he's really a nice guy, though he will make you laugh out loud sometimes.Since you are new you don't know how many times THE CAM question comes up on here,you are in the ballpark though with the specs.Lets see 236 to about 240 on 112 or 114 would work with about .600 lift in your 383.You might need rear gears if you go really big on the cam say 3.73 or 4.11"s.A236 on 113 might work good too!Comp Cams has a good selection of shelf cams up to 248 I think,also Lunati has cams to 244 or so.You might find a good cam in the for sale section on this site.Just go down the internal engine section and read the threads that sound interesting to you ,you"ll learn a lot,and probably find a cam thats been tried already and has posted track times or dyno numbers.Welcome to LS1TECH its good reading and entertaining at times,GOOD LUCK on your cam.FASTONE!! P.S. checkwith some of the sponsers on the right side>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 08-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

thanks alot. and i was just messin with JRP. We all have a starter question and mine just happened to be the one thing everyone wants to know about.