Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much machining should I have to do to this block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much machining should I have to do to this block?

Ok, Im not looking for the easy way out here, but I definately don't want to do everything in the book either on this one. Here is the senario:

-STock 45k mile ls1 on untuned boost blew ring land on no 7.

-Upon disassembly the block is perfectly fine, as is the heads. Somehow the chunk of piston must have gone through the exaust valve without damaging anything.

- Only further damage I noted was that the piston/rod assembly in question did not rotate freely. As in if you held the piston buy the head the rod woudl not freely rotate aroudn the pin, in fact it was quite hard to turn back and forth.

-When the engine got damaged I drove it home 60 miles, it ran fine in fact, except for a little knocking noise at idle

Now my plan for reassembly will include Diamond forged pistons with low CR and eagle rods. As a minimum I would like to:

-hone the block to fit the new 3.905 bore piston.
-check heads for warpage.

Now the question is what other machining operations should I have done on the block? ARP studs will be used everywhere. Since the engine still ran fine is there any other machining operations I shoudl have done to the block?
I will check deck surface for flatness as well.

About the crank, should I have it polished? There are no scratches or anything liket aht on teh journals, it spun freely without effort upon disassembly.

TIA
Old 08-16-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would for sure check those valves on the #7 head could be bent also do a leakdown test to see if they seal good.The stiff piston\rod probably happen after the fact not before.Good luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Make sure the shop uses a torque plate when they hone. Have the machine shop check the block and make recomendations, maybe align honed and decked. Personally I would have the heads milled a bit (.008 to .010). Consider purchasing a new LS6 block, might be cheaper in the long run.

Dale