Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I port my stock heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I port my stock heads?

Well, my car is immobile right now due to a busted 10 bolt , so I was thinking while it's sitting should I go ahead and take off my heads and send them out to get a port/polish? I found a shop here in NC that can do it for around $600. I am pondering this option because I am about to spring $2,000+ on a new rearend and can't afford another $2k for the AFR's right now. What would you do?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JDPZ28
Well, my car is immobile right now due to a busted 10 bolt , so I was thinking while it's sitting should I go ahead and take off my heads and send them out to get a port/polish? I found a shop here in NC that can do it for around $600. I am pondering this option because I am about to spring $2,000+ on a new rearend and can't afford another $2k for the AFR's right now. What would you do?

suspension mods to go along with the rear end would help
Old 08-16-2004, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

600 bucks for ported heads sounds pretty scarry what does this include?

if i were you i would save up untill i had the money for a pro to do it

are you just looking for a stage 1
you shouldn't totally give up the idea of a gm casting we've been getting some pretty impressive numbers out of our very recent 5.3 and even 5.7 stuff flow bench and dyno
Old 08-16-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TD's z
600 bucks for ported heads sounds pretty scarry what does this include?

if i were you i would save up untill i had the money for a pro to do it

are you just looking for a stage 1
you shouldn't totally give up the idea of a gm casting we've been getting some pretty impressive numbers out of our very recent 5.3 and even 5.7 stuff flow bench and dyno
here is the link.about halfway down the page under other options. I was looking at the econo port or even possibly the full port.
http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLS1.html
Old 08-16-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buymeavette
suspension mods to go along with the rear end would help
I do have BMR lca's and panhard rod. I guess I need to update the sig.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey JDP, i just looked at your pics and i have a few questions. where is holly springs , i looked on the map and all i found was holly ridge. down at the coast. i live in the middle of nc at the very top. anyway which cam did you like the best, the fm13 or the lg x2. i really want a cam but i cant make my mind up. i have about the same mods as you. i think i want the g5x3 or the fm11 or 13. one of those. and what kind of times do you run? oh about the porting on your heads. we have a guy up here that ports heads and might do them cheaper than that. he does all the head porting for a race shop up here. they have the worlds fastest neon and a nova that is bad also. anyway shoot me a pm if you want me to get a price for ya. later charles
Old 08-16-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverbeast
hey JDP, i just looked at your pics and i have a few questions. where is holly springs , i looked on the map and all i found was holly ridge. down at the coast. i live in the middle of nc at the very top. anyway which cam did you like the best, the fm13 or the lg x2. i really want a cam but i cant make my mind up. i have about the same mods as you. i think i want the g5x3 or the fm11 or 13. one of those. and what kind of times do you run? oh about the porting on your heads. we have a guy up here that ports heads and might do them cheaper than that. he does all the head porting for a race shop up here. they have the worlds fastest neon and a nova that is bad also. anyway shoot me a pm if you want me to get a price for ya. later charles
sent you a PM.