Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wtf...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf...

Ok got the turbo on this weekend. Drove to the autostore after work today to get a couple of things. Got back in the car started it up and it would barely run. Had my laptop hooked up (HPTuners) and found that the right O2 was reading 1160 all the time. So I went back in and bought an O2 sensor, replaced it started it up and it still read the same.....My house was like 5 miles away so I threw together a quick tune that basically kept me in open loop the whole time so I could drive home. Well as I'm driving home the O2 sensor readings get lower and then it seems to work fine, keep in mind I'm in open loop the whole time. Well as I'm driving the Check Engine light flashes, reach over and check my DTC's and it's a P0300 Engine Misfire. Well I'm just about to the house now so I get home. Put the original tune back in it, reset the DTC's and go for a drive. Car feels fine, check engine light never came on this time but it did throw the P0300 code again. Any idea's as to what exactly happened here......I'm headed out to the driveway to check things out right now

-Sly
Old 08-18-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Sly give us a call
Old 08-18-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would but my phone doesn't work right now....
Old 08-18-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Did you change your misfire codes at low rpm and idle to 32767? Or is this some real misfire?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't remember I'll have to look. If the misifire light flashes then that is way bad, last time it was a broken valve spring. So far everything looks good. Pulled the plugs, look real clean, all valvetrain looks good. However when I pulled off the #5 spark plug wire the inside end was still on the plug, dunno if it was like that or I did that, so I gotta put the factory wires back on. Might have been caused by this wire....HOPEFULLY!

-Sly
Old 08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

The PO 300 is random misfire, I would think if it was that one plug wire it would set off the code for that one only.?.?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Was your car doing the same thing mine was doing when I had a bad 02 senor? If so do you think that could have caused a low rpm misfire code? I have the PO300 code desensitized at low rpms in my car.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was doing similar, but what I don't get is why the O2 sensor still read really really high for about 2 more minutes after I put the new one on. I just put it back together, gonna fix the misfire and take it back out here shortly. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help and input Becky.

-Sly
Old 08-18-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slyws6
I don't remember I'll have to look. If the misifire light flashes then that is way bad, last time it was a broken valve spring. So far everything looks good. Pulled the plugs, look real clean, all valvetrain looks good. However when I pulled off the #5 spark plug wire the inside end was still on the plug, dunno if it was like that or I did that, so I gotta put the factory wires back on. Might have been caused by this wire....HOPEFULLY!

-Sly
I was wondering last time you had a misfire you said it was a broken valve spring could you here it rattling. The reason I ask is I have the same code
SES light flashing had it scanned #6 misfire,changed the plugs wires nothing.
Swapped coil packs w/#4 hoping the misfire would switch to #4 nothing still #6. Ohmed the injector and compared it to the others all the same. I thought you might could help.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Your welcome

That is normal for the 02s to do that. They only update every 15 mins or so. It will take between 50 and 100 miles for it to settle down to where they need to be. Or you can reset the fuel trims with HPtuner.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
I was wondering last time you had a misfire you said it was a broken valve spring could you here it rattling. The reason I ask is I have the same code
SES light flashing had it scanned #6 misfire,changed the plugs wires nothing.
Swapped coil packs w/#4 hoping the misfire would switch to #4 nothing still #6. Ohmed the injector and compared it to the others all the same. I thought you might could help.
Pull your valve cover, you won't hear anything rattling. You will have to look at it, grab it with your hand and see if you can spin it. If you can then it's broke. Also check the pushrods on that cylinder, one may be bent.

-Sly
Old 08-18-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lady Redhawk
Your welcome

That is normal for the 02s to do that. They only update every 15 mins or so. It will take between 50 and 100 miles for it to settle down to where they need to be. Or you can reset the fuel trims with HPtuner.
Thanks Becky I wasn't aware of that, hopefully it was just a bad O2, probly from that puddle I went through last night. Thanks a ton! Gonna eat, go to the autostore to get some clamps then put my check valve on the pressure side to the turbo then I'll take her down the street.

-Sly
Old 08-18-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slyws6
Pull your valve cover, you won't hear anything rattling. You will have to look at it, grab it with your hand and see if you can spin it. If you can then it's broke. Also check the pushrods on that cylinder, one may be bent.

-Sly
Thanks I appreciate it I just sent you a pm so disregaurd that. Also down in the PCM diagnostics section I posted a thread that explains the prob. Please take a look and tell me what you think thread is (Some one please help!!)
Old 08-18-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol i have the same problem with cylinder #1 misfiring horribly. Scheduled to goto jay fisher in 2 weeks.