Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine knock question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock question.

I have 2002 SS with 21,000 miles on it. I have read up on the piston slap problem. This almost sounds like the lifters are knocking. you can hear it over the piston slap when the car is first started. It is not as loud when the engine gets to it's average temp. Anyone else had the same problem, or what could it be??????? Has anyone had any luck getting the piston slap problem fixed under warranty????
Old 08-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

Mine has developed the slap noise as well...only 5k miles. I too would be interested in the success rate of getting it fixed under warranty. Its no doubt piston slap...And mine has the ls6 block in it too
Old 08-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Teching In

i have a 2002 ws6 and i had the same problem as you. when i brought it to the GM mech he tested pistons and found one that when he canceled it out there was no knocking and when he put it back on line it knocked mind u this is at cold start about 2 or 3 min later it stops knocking and the engine sounds normal so when the mech told me that i had a bad piston and my warranty should cover this repair, but he also said that if unless the agent from the warranty wanted a tear down of the engine to examine it first and if the agent would not approve of this repair due to what ever reason then it would fall on me that i would have to first pay for the tear down of the heads (this is the block itself to get to the heads) and the repair just the tear down alone is at $1,500. not including the repairs. so i had to gamble that the warranty agent would honor this work if not bye bye to the car lol.
anyways agent approved of the bad piston . and the company of my warranty decided that a brand new engine would be a better way to go so that GM would give me 50,000mile warranty or 5 years which ever came first.
since my car was pre-owned and found it on the southway ford dealer ship and warranty was thru ford motor company plus i only had basic warranty cover, my deductable was only $100.dallors final bill for new moter and install was around 8grand or so.....boy did i sweat that out and came out ahead.
and p.s mech told me that it is common to have a tapping sound on the 2002 ls1's most like a piston slapping that after a while the piston does ware out. when all this happen to my car it had 54,000 miles on it.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Hey Jekel,

when did all this occur? How long ago?

Thx

John
Old 08-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssorange
Hey Jekel,

when did all this occur? How long ago?

Thx

John
about five months ago. i had around 54k miles on the car when i finaly took it to the GM service dept and the car had 52k miles when i bought it throu ford motor company, thank god the sales person convinced me to get a basic warranty for the car cuse i was going to buy it just like that with no warranty.
but u know what even thoug i got a brand new ls1 motor at times i can still hear a tapping sound and not just at cold start even after its been warmed up i can still hear that tapping sound i think i might just be hearing things cuse everyone that i know says "it sounds good to me" oh well i still have a long way before my warranty thru GM wears out, if there is somting wroung ill give it a for more miles on it if it sound worst later then i well take it back
which i would hate to do this all over agian.
right now i have just bearly hit 60k on the car thats about 6 k miles on the new engine.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Teching In

oh allmost forgot to mention at the time my 2002 ws6 was in the GM service dept getting engine teardown to have the pistons checked the mech showed me a 2002 SS with the same engine as mine having the same piston trouble and getting a new engine installed in it also he said that he has had a few 2002 ls1 with this same trouble. hope this helps u all.....
jekel