Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning my modding...need alittle help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning my modding...need alittle help

I have picked up a 01 M6 Firebird today, I've been watching the boards for awhile now picking up info as I go. But much like life things are fairly fast paced in the ls1 performance market, so the best thing last week may not be the best this week.

Anyway Ive done searchs, called some of the vendors ect. What I was looking to get is afew other outside opinions from the horses mouth

There are afew questions that I was looking to get some info on.

The car will be a daily driver, and Im not reallly concerned with the "street" mannerisms of the car as i would drive stuff on the street most people would only drive at the track

1) Im looking to, once "done" ( if there is such a thing) make around 700rwhp on pump 93. I understand all the things like suspension, the tranny ect, im just trying to get the info on the motor really.

2) Now trying to make 700whp on pump with FI seems rather hard on the stock bore (correct me if im wrong). I have no problem going Turbo or possibly a S/C like a F1R.

3) So sayin that #1 is correct and the stock bore is to small the best bang for the buck now seems to be a 408, ls6 heads ect. Now If I decide to go ahead and get heads for my stock motor that will also work on the 408 any suggestions on which to go with? These will need to be a H/C package that works on the stock motor but will be ready to go once the FI gets on.

4) Saying the #1 is false and I can just forge the bottom end, get H/C, bolt-ons,and turbo on S/C anyone doing something like this making around 700whp? What forged rotating assebly would you recommend, possibly a shop that can do the work? Idea of a number on compression? What about LT's, and exhaust for my FI setup? I've seen the STS kits but the stock kit wont make enough for my intentions, ICCON kits are few and far between, any other suggestions?

I REALLY apprecaite any help you guys can give, I know some of this stuff is like beating a dead horse but I couldnt really find any of specific info needed for this project. I'm fairly new to LS1s comming from Mustang land but my father has always owned fast cars and Ive always loved the look of the WS6 so i finally got lucky enough to own one I did.

Help with all or even just one of these is very much appreciated and I thank you for helping me.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off, welcome to the board .
700rwhp is gonna cost some MAJOR $$$$$!!
Your on the right track though.
408 stroker with forged internals, turbo, and maybe a small shot of N2O.Oh and then the drivetrain to take the abuse .
Or you could just do a forged 408 with about a 200 shot and be there cheaper without the boost!
Old 08-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Awesome, thats the kinda help Im definately looking for. Ok so lets say I go with the 408, what can I go ahead and do to the car motor wise now that will be useable on the 408, heads, exhaust, headers? Any of this useable between the too?

Id really be interested in any head/ cam combo that would be effective on both.

Remember FI will be used on the 408 and possibly on the stock motor(with less boost) if that is interchangeable as well
Old 08-23-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

a forged 408 is definitely headed in the right direction. however if you're goin towards a high boost motor, you might as well drop the dough on AFR 225's, they were designed for exactly what you're doing. high boost high horsepower motors. thicker decks, stronger overall castings, that head is going to be real tough to lift.

a custom F1R is gonna run you some mad $$$, but will make the numbers, just be prepared to harvest the money tree a few times during this build-up.

there are a couple sponsers on here that could make you a badass 408, like HPE. get in touch with one of them and see what they can do for you, especially considering your goals.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Hm, Ive done some more searching since posting this and now Im worried about the amount of money that this project could take. Im looking for the cost of the 408 now but Im worried that not neccesarily the 408, but everything else ontop of that maybe more then I can afford. I may have to look into what I can get out of forging the bottom end of the stock motor with, nice heads, bolt-ons and some FI and some n20.

Any ideas?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jcr1982
Hm, Ive done some more searching since posting this and now Im worried about the amount of money that this project could take. Im looking for the cost of the 408 now but Im worried that not neccesarily the 408, but everything else ontop of that maybe more then I can afford. I may have to look into what I can get out of forging the bottom end of the stock motor with, nice heads, bolt-ons and some FI and some n20.

Any ideas?
Even if you do forge the bottom end of the stock cube motor you will still have to have all the machine work to have it honed and balanced as you would with a 408 and still spend the same amount on the forged internals. The only additional cost you would incurr on a 408 would be the 6.0liter block(@ $600). Why don't you look into doing what you can with what you have now and you can always upgrade later. Heads(@$1800 assuming you install them yourself),cam($350-450 installed by you), headers and exhaust (@ $900-1200 you installing), plus all the little bolt on's and upgrading the rearend ($2000-2500),clutch,etc. It adds up fast. I would do some more searching if I were you and come up with an affordable, upgradable gameplan.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

You could still get the SLP 402 shortblock for $3500. Perfect for a budget buildup. Forged everything, very tight tolerances, very high quality materials used. You could probably get away with an ATI D1R, and I've seen those go for anywhere from $1500 on up(head unit alone). Kits usually start around $6k. Add a smaller shot of nitrous on top of that and you could hit 700rwhp. If you're willin to run an 8rib pulley setup(for higher boost).