Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tsp 231/231 or tsp 231/237???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tsp 231/231 or tsp 231/237???

hey im going to be putting a cam in my car soon and i was looking at the two cams that i mentioned..what cam should i go with??? i have lt's, 4.10 gears and its a m6 car...i want somthing thats going to make good power and is streetable also..i have to run stock heads for a while due to lack of funds and i want a cam that has a nice lope to it that you can really hear..thanks for any help
Jared
Old 08-24-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

well if you want a really nice lope, definitely go with a 112LSA. from what i've heard the 231/231 has a little more mir-range power, like the torquer(233/233). i have the 231/237, waitin to be installed. its a great nitrous cam, so if you're thinkin about nitrous down the road definitely go with that. otherwise both cams will work well for you. call Jason and talk to him, he'll be able to tell you more about them...they're his cams after all LOL.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think either cam would work well for what you're looking for... in fact, I would also consider the TSP 233/233 'torquer' camshaft as well. I have the 231/237 on stock heads and so far I'm very happy with it... with a good tune it idles well, and is very streetable, even in stop & go traffic with the A/C on full blast. And it lopes pretty damn hard... people turn to look all the time when I drive by.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tranzor, how many miles do you have on your setup? I have 62k on mine, and am thinking of swapping out rocker arms when I do my cam swap just for good measure, since heads aren't in the cards for another 10-15k miles(when it'll be time for new springs anyhow). Can pick up a set of YT 1.7's cheap right now, am seriously tempted.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't usually put too many miles on my car each year... maybe 6-8k, as I have had my car for 3 years now and have only put 23k miles on it. I've had my cam in for over a month now, and I've put over 1k miles on it so far, plus 2 trips to the track. So far so good, no weird sounds except a little of the ol' sewing machine sound from the valvetrain which is normal.

With 62k miles, I'd go ahead and swap out new rockers... at the very least you might want to think about getting some brand new stock rockers, as from what I hear GM fixed the problem with the needle bearings getting puked up by the rockers that are in our cars.

As for valve springs, I didn't mess around and I went with Patriot Gold dual springs... the whole kit was $295 from Texas Speed, with seats & seals, plus titanium retainers. I'm glad I went with those for the piece of mind they bring.

Also, you will want to think about getting at least a new stock timing chain and a new oil pump... the 98s-00 oil pumps seem to have the most occurrences of crapping out.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I can get the new YT's for less then I could get a set of new replacement stockers, so there's little point in getting stockers. Also, I'm putting in an adjustable double roller timing chain, new ported ls6 oil pump(by Vents), and I am w/o doubt going with the PP Gold Dual valvespring kit. Not a chance in hell I'm risking going w/anything less then the Gold Duals. No broken springs, bent valves for me thanks.