Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALUMINUM short block recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ALUMINUM short block recomendations?

So I got all excited when I saw SLP was offering this great 402 kit... then realized it was an iron block. Well I'm more into handling than the straight line these days and my motor is hosed and needs a new rotating assembly. The Stock heads are fine too, and to be honest I was just going to put a junk yard motor back in maybe an LS6. But given the SLP package is only a grand more (new) than most Junk yard blocks (used), I realized I should probably look around and see if there are any similar deals on aluminum short blocks? FWIW while I'm swapping the short block I would like to go larger and N/A but I want the car to feel and idle stock first and foremost and am willing to give up on the big number dyno in order to make the car "feel" smooth and refined.

Suggestions?

-Adam
Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Launching!

I'd get a 4" Eagle crank, rods, .005" over pistons, rings, and bearings. About $2500. Balance the assembly and hone the block for another $500 or so. If you need a new block, I saw SDPC had some for $650 in the GP section.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:01 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats your time frame? be interesting to see how the ls2 blocks pan out.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 72sub
I'd get a 4" Eagle crank, rods, .005" over pistons, rings, and bearings. About $2500. Balance the assembly and hone the block for another $500 or so. If you need a new block, I saw SDPC had some for $650 in the GP section.
I sort of want to avoid the hassel fo finding a local builder (these hands of mine have got no mad engine building skills). SLP short block would be great where it not for the handling issue. I checked MTI and the like and it looks like Short blocks are rather expensive there (They did have a stock displacement short block, but I think that might be a bit anti-climatic for me)
Old 08-27-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
whats your time frame? be interesting to see how the ls2 blocks pan out.
Well the TA went down in May, and I've been limping along in an extra car the Family has.... I could go a little longer I'm sure, but I do need to get this resolved soon.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LS2 blocks are just barely starting to hit the open market (saw one on e-bay), so nobody has done much R&D. However, that's going to be your most cost effective option for gaining bore size if everything turns out to be as interchangable as it appears.

The only other alternatives for keeping an aluminum block and increasing the bore, are using the Darton sleeved LS1 blocks ($2k), or bucking up for the big $$ C5-R block ($5k?).

If GM keeps their run of the mill block prices in the same ballpark, you could have a 408 aluminum shortblock stroker for around $2500 + labor.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

I would love an Ls2 block, but I don't know if I want to be the person to have to R&D putting a stroker kit on it :-) I've been the first at things before (First LS1 CenterForce Clutch...ouch... First LS1 Ram Clutch...Ouch... First batch of Mac Headers....actually that worked well... first to get screwed by INCON...ouch).
Old 08-27-2004, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8

If GM keeps their run of the mill block prices in the same ballpark, you could have a 408 aluminum shortblock stroker for around $2500 + labor.
If anybody needs labour assembly, I can get you a great deal on assembly + machining....You would have to ship it up to me though

Last edited by SLED28; 08-27-2004 at 04:39 PM.