Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice before I start the modding

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice before I start the modding

I'm ready to sink some money into the SS. I have about 3 grand to spend including installation. Here's what I was thinking. New TR 224 cam, 4.10s, LS6 intake, ported tb, and ASP pullys. How much hp do you think this will make with my mods below? Could I get more bang for the buck if I got other stuff instead? My friend says I should port and polish the heads. I need some ideas before I get all this stuff. Thanks in advance for your ideas
Old 08-29-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a good combo of parts,I would want some good heads if you can swing it.Then you make some serious hp.
I got a 1981 Z-28,4 speed with a fully built 408sb,runs low 7"s at about 94mph.1\8 mile!! lOVE THAT OLD CAR!! mine was bonestock when I got it,modified is a lot better!
Old 08-29-2004, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTONE
Sounds like a good combo of parts,I would want some good heads if you can swing it.Then you make some serious hp.
I got a 1981 Z-28,4 speed with a fully built 408sb,runs low 7"s at about 94mph.1\8 mile!! lOVE THAT OLD CAR!! mine was bonestock when I got it,modified is a lot better!
Wow, that sounds awesome. My '80 has about 190 hp. Beautiful car though! I'd like to hop it up too. I will when I get some extra cash. Do you visit SGCOG?

By the way, keep those opinions coming.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get a good set of heads if you did your installing yourself. If you must have someone do the work, I'd say Futral Motorsports in Walker, La. will give you the best combo, installed, in your price range. I'd call them if I were you.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want some serious power out of just a cam and intake, look into the TSP 231/237 with the Ls6 intake. You will be makin close to 400 to the wheels with a damn good tune.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And will take nos real well if you want to add more
Old 08-29-2004, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are interested in 4.10s it sounds like you want a track car. So... if I were you, I'd change things a bit, 'cause without traction the extra hp means little. So, I'd do the 4.10's, LCA's, and SFC's and a couple of sticky tires ($1200ish w/install). Then, I'd do the cam(TR224 is a good choice), nitrous & plugs ($1300ish w/install). That leaves you $500 for a good LS1 Edit tune. That will get you into the 11's with practice.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
You could get a good set of heads if you did your installing yourself. If you must have someone do the work, I'd say Futral Motorsports in Walker, La. will give you the best combo, installed, in your price range. I'd call them if I were you.
I didn't know Futral was that close. I'll have to check with them and compare with Thunder Racing. Yeah, I'll have to have someone do the work for me, unfortunately.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z-286speed
If you want some serious power out of just a cam and intake, look into the TSP 231/237 with the Ls6 intake. You will be makin close to 400 to the wheels with a damn good tune.
Thats some damn good HP. I'm currently only puttin out 329 rwhp. I'd be happy with 400. Is the 231/237 a good daily driving cam? I don't plan on racing (at the track) too much. Maybe once or twice a year.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Need to start thinking about your rear end and clutch if youre thinking about bumping up the power. If you start making alot of power and trying to launch at the track with any kind of sticky tires youll be in need of a new clutch and rear end before you know it (Especially with 4.10's).

Think about what you want to do with your car and base your mod decisions soley on that. Fact is, if you want a track car you need to be thinking about getting a clutch that can hold as well as a 12 bolt/9 inch before you think about a cam. If your car is just gonna stay on the street and stay on street tires then you dont have to worry about the rear end as much (Gears will make it weaker though).
Old 08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez22
I didn't know Futral was that close. I'll have to check with them and compare with Thunder Racing. Yeah, I'll have to have someone do the work for me, unfortunately.
Yea, there pretty close to you, and not to, to far from me. Everything they put out seems to dyno higher and run faster than the competion. I'd deffinatlly give them a call before you make your final decision. They should be able to get you to 400 rwhp within your budget.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Need to start thinking about your rear end and clutch if youre thinking about bumping up the power. If you start making alot of power and trying to launch at the track with any kind of sticky tires youll be in need of a new clutch and rear end before you know it (Especially with 4.10's).

Think about what you want to do with your car and base your mod decisions soley on that. Fact is, if you want a track car you need to be thinking about getting a clutch that can hold as well as a 12 bolt/9 inch before you think about a cam. If your car is just gonna stay on the street and stay on street tires then you dont have to worry about the rear end as much (Gears will make it weaker though).
I just want it to be faster and louder (with more lope) . I won't be at the track too much. Mostly on the street and not racing (too much). So, with this in mind, what should I do to get to near 400 rwhp?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

My advice to you would be to make sure you do all the bolt ons, (LS6 intake, headers, tbody, pulley) and then select a cam. Any large cam will do, just search around, call or check dyno numbers to see what cam can get you there. A few off hand that would do the trick are: Futral F13, F11, G5x2, G5x3, TSP 231/237, TR 230, Trex. There are plenty more cams that can do it as well as a custom grind with appropriate specs. A 224 would be a great street cam and net you some good power but odds are it wont get you to 400 without heads. If you are going to change springs in your stock heads my recommendation is to just go with a big cam and stay cam only. If you ever decide you need more you can always throw on a bottle. Definitely buy the ls6 intake, tbody, and pulley. Might want to do the pulley swap same time as the cam though. Also keep in mind a cam swap includes a great number of hidden expenses. (Gaskets, Coolant, Oil for oil change, parts to do the swap, you get the picture). Post up if you have any more questions or if i left something out.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Sidewayz, you've been very helpful.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to suggest a clutch as well. Maybe not now but down the road a little...