Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much can I spray it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much can I spray it?

I'm going to be putting forged pistons and rods in my 346 LS1 with a stock crank. It'll have stock heads and cam. How much can I spray it with? I've got a NX wet kit.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're running a NX kit that uses the single nozzle placed in the air coupler, you will be limited to around 150hp. This is about as much as you can spray without leaning out a couple of the cylinders due to uneven distribution.
If you want to go any higher (which you can with the forged internals) you need a direct port. This will eliminate any distriution issues at higher hp levels.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you tune??, you can get a MAF NX update kit to make your kit a NXMAF system and turn it into a dual stage. call Nitrous Dave he'll explain.
Provided you can tune you can go 200>250 IMO.
The fear of big shots is that poeple tend to play it safe and jet too much fuel which can puddle in the intake and have an intake backfire.
For that reason DP is much better or In my case dry shooting as injectors add the fuel, no puddling.
that is another issue besides leaning the back cylinders.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm thinking about getting the TNT F2 kit cause I don't really want a direct port kit. I have someone else tune my car. I'm just wondering if a forged short-block will handle a 300 shot.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fully blueprinted short block, ARP mains, nitrated crank, etc.. the works. YES
But like I said 300 is too big for non DP and potential intake backfire is high.
IMO 200 is MAX, bigger>>>>>>>>DP
Old 09-03-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
The fear of big shots is that poeple tend to play it safe and jet too much fuel which can puddle in the intake and have an intake backfire.
Have you ever seen a puddle of gasoline explode?

The backfiring shouldn't be an issue unless you spray at to low of an RPM, or you have a weak intake valvespring (valvefloat). It's the vaporized fuel in the intake being ignited by the combustion that causes the explosion in the intake, not puddling (if it even happens).

I would be more concerned about leaning out a cylinder to much due to the flow characteristics of the intake. JMO.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Have you ever seen a puddle of gasoline explode?

The backfiring shouldn't be an issue unless you spray at to low of an RPM, or you have a weak intake valvespring (valvefloat). It's the vaporized fuel in the intake being ignited by the combustion that causes the explosion in the intake, not puddling (if it even happens).

I would be more concerned about leaning out a cylinder to much due to the flow characteristics of the intake. JMO.
Duh

If it ever happens??? Of course it happens!! Did it ever click in your mind why they call it an air intake and not a fuel air intake?

Check the inside of your intake and see how smooth it is

Yes leaning the back cylinders is an issue, and so is low rpm nitrous shooting, valve float and intake PUDDLING.

Read carefully again, you'll see that I mentionned that it is preferable, ie better, ie recommended to go DP for big shots for various reasons, ONE of them being intake backfires and puddling (which are related)
Old 09-03-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

This debate about fuel puddling in the intake is very old, but I don't recall anyone ever proving that it was happening. My question is, even if there is a puddle of fuel in there, how does it ignite without a backfire in the first place? And when that backfire happens, what happens to the rest of the nitrous/fuel saturated air inside there?

I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing here, but I just don't buy into the puddle theory.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Banned

I havent heard of any direct stories where people have proven puddling occurs, thats not to say it doesnt though.

CMC
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Puddling is a N20 tech term. It doesn't mean there is actually what you visually think of a puddle on the intake bottom.
Intake is not perfectly straight or smooth, it has variations, pits, etc...
An over saturation of fuel "can " cause some of it to deposit in the low areas (especially in the lower pressure areas), and that is what we call "puddling".
Now that is NOT, the only factor that causes a backfire but ONE of them. As the wet shot increases so does the potential.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

****, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about which N20 kit I'm gonna run now. At least I know the motor will hold though
Old 09-03-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I know a guy that has 350 shot on a WELL built motor.

The only problem with a 690RWHP that is hooking up is he has broken losts of parts...........
Old 09-03-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PlowTown Missile
****, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about which N20 kit I'm gonna run now. At least I know the motor will hold though
Also bear in mind that at those levels, will the heads stay seated??
That is one of the reasons I chose AFR's. But I'll only shoot a "small" 200 dry.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

i'll just keep using my 200 wet single nossle on my completely stock car.