Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Idle after throwing code P1133???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Idle after throwing code P1133???

I posted this in PCM and didn't get any replies:

Since putting on headers I've been getting the insufficient O2 switching on the driver's side, code P1133. I put on new Denso O2 sensors and tried to seal everything up around the collector and it still comes on about once every 100 miles or so. Last night it came on and then the car started idling funny, way up at 2500 rpm, then down at 1500, but never at 925 where it was set during a recent tune. I carry an Actron scanner with me, so I plugged in and got the 1133 code and then erased it after pulling off the road. The idle went back to normal. OK, now was that just a coincidence? Or is it real. I had a strange idle the other day without the code, but I fixed it by cleaning a very dirty IAC valve.

If this is real, what is going to happen when I get my friend with HPTuners to turn the code off. He says he won't turn the code off, just make it so it doesn't throw the code. I'd hate to think that if it throws the code, doesn't report it and the car just runs funky! That would be terrible. What should I do?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

If memory serves correctly, insufficient switching means there is a problem with the o2 sensors (and by that I mean its not an emissions deal). Is this for a sensor before or after the cat? Did you use o2 sensor extensions or make your own?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, but I do not need any help regarding the code, it's for the front driver's side O2 and I've already replaced it and done everything you need to do to keep it off. I did not use extensions, just got the O2 sensor for the back Vette, they are plenty long.

What I need to know is, is it normal for a car to run funny after throwing a code and then clear up after erasing it?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

I would guess the IAC valve caused the strange idling issues. What I was trying to tell you is that youre o2 sensor is more than likely bad, whether you cared to hear it or not. A messed up front o2 sensor will definitely make a car run like crap. Its possible your car was also throwing some codes you didnt see because they hadnt tripped the SES light yet.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry,
Didn't mean to offend you. I replaced both front O2's with new Denso O2's. It fixed the passenger side code 1153, but not the driver's side. After searching I've found that some people after numerous new O2's still couldn't eliminate 1133 or 1153. I may still have a header leak on that side, but I sure don't hear or see (carbon tracks) one. The last thing I do not want to try is grinding down the bung on that side to get the O2 sensor more into the gas flow. Just seems like it would be very hard to grind it square and if you don't I'll end up with a leak right at the O2 sensor which would not be good.

I am thinking about just turning off the reporting of this code. My questions are, will it act up after throwing a code? That is, does the computer do funny things after a code is thrown or was it just pure coincidence that I had the IAC issues again? The car has idled perfectly since clearing the code and I haven't gotten a code since. This is really frustrating. I hate to go buy more new O2's, but I may get a new AC Delco O2 sensor off of Ebay, they are only $35. Also, if you turn off the reporting of the code, will anyone be able to see it when emmisions people hook up for testing?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 08-30-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

No offense taken, just thought you didnt understand what I had said. I can help you with one part of the question. If the code is set to #3 No error reported then it will not be seen by emissions check. Good luck with getting it fixed, but I would say try everything possible before spending more $$ on a new o2 sensor.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Coal Mining Director

Sometimes an o2 sensor is not deep enough into the exhaust stream...the bung can be wrong....did youuse silicone on any of the o2 threads ?? That can kill them .
Old 08-30-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sidewayz, thanks for the info on the emission stuff, that helps.

Onfire, I used the antiseize that came with the Denso O2's.

The only thing that really scares me is I think I might have a leak where the AIR tube welds on. I sure can't see it or hear it, but when I was putting the air tube on, I thought I felt the tube give a little. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Anyway, I took the tubes off and replaced them with block off plates. At least that fixed the check valve fluttering (and I did put on the 3/16" diameter orifice plates), but I still got the 1133 code.

My tuner said not to turn off this code, that he had heard of funny things going on when people did that. I'll try re-torqueing the header bolts and put some more high temp RTV on the collector flange. This is a pain, but thanks to everyone that is helping.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Coal Mining Director

"high temp RTV"......make sure it's o2 safe...did you check the depth of the 02's?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

If you can get ahold of that hptuners you can use it to check for vacuum leaks. The STFT's will be off the charts. I would imagine if you had one if would throw a code though. Worth a shot anyways.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had to pull codes 1133 and 1153 after similar issues with my car. I have had no ill effects from doing so, do not use silicone on exhaust before the sensors even if it is ''sensor safe''.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What does silicon do to the o2's ??
Old 10-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Question after throwing code p1133

Glennhl, Did you get your answer to the idle acting up? My SS did the same exact thing after tripping that code. I just had a custom tune done and the O2 readings were out of whack on the left side. Anyways I had both front O2's replaced and header collectors bands tightened up and still had codes. After sealing up some minute cracks on both collectors and resetting the computer the lite has finally gone out. Hope your codes are gone. Jbuckweiser
Old 10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I throw the code about every other day, typically after long time times at cruise or after a hard 2nd gear romp. However, I haven't had the funny idle since that one night. I have a friend with HPTuners for 2001's and he's going to eliminate the codes next time I'm at his house.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Silicone poisons the sensors causing silica fouling .

Last edited by z-ya; 10-20-2004 at 04:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Weird Idle after throwing code P1133???