Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this cam and head combo work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this cam and head combo work?

Patriot LS1 CNC Stage II heads complete heads and the LS1 Grand-Am Cup, 239/251 Duration @ 0.050, Racing Camshaft

power expectations with full exhuast and an 80mm TB?

http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/...l?v=1&pid=8141
http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/...l?v=1&pid=8851
Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitly not a street cam (Unless you're in Aussie Land) 106 lsa would be serious racing only and would require some massive flowing heads.
Head choice is allright but I would go with another cam for sure.

Give us some more info about your car, mods, purpose of H/C swap, street/strip, strip only.....etc..
Old 09-01-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think it was some guy that worked at scoggin dicky(GM parts sponsor to the left) that ran that can in a Z06 I think and it was maybe daily driven. Its not really nessarry to go that big on the street unless your doing a bunch of freeway run. (that cam makes a ton on the top end) but you will have to run gears with it to gain drivability. Whats your HP goal's because you can mostlikley go smaller and get what you want with better street maners.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

PZ, why can Aussie's run bigger cams? And whats with the maffless tuning? Why do they get away with that ****? Something with them being in the southern hemisphere? LOL. I'm lost....or is it just cuz they're nuts down there....with no real scientific reason....??
Old 09-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Teching In

this car is gonna be a daily driven z28, with a 80mm TB, the patriot stage II heads, hooker long tubes with a cat-less y pipe with magnaflow or borla cat back. and then a cam, and im also unsure about what chip or tuning i should get. also if ill need to upgrade my fuel system. i might also get nitrous if i still have money.

for power gains, id like to compete with stock and lightly moded 03 cobra's, so id like the power around 475

ps. even tho its gonna be daily driven, i want a really lumpy idle, i want the big cam sound.

Last edited by IWannaSS; 09-01-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

****. if you want 500 hp you're gonna need more then just heads and cam. you're gonna need nitrous or a SC/turbo. but back to the cam. thats a big freakin cam, much larger then you'll need to go. i'd say you could get away with something like the TSP torquer(233/233), tsp magic stick(237/242), T-ReX (242/248) maybe. any of those cams will give you at least 45hp, the second two will probably give you 50hp or more. Also, I'd suggest running LS6 heads if you want to see 450rwhp. You won't be able to get them milled if you go with the second two cams I suggested due to Piston-To-Valve clearance issues, unless you notch the pistons. Which you may want to do, if you want to up the compression(good for some more power).
Old 09-01-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't run the T-rex with bigger valves unless you notch the pistons. It was set-up to run the tightest P/V with stock heads. Any alteration from that will cause clearence issues. As for the tuning, our cars can be tuned to speed density/mafless. It isn't hard, you just have to have someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ahha!!! Thats what speed density tuning is. Gotcha. Gonna have to research that some.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Teching In

so im still not sure which head and cam would be my best choice
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

have you read jrp's cam guide? if not, find one of his posts, and read it. its in his sig. that will explain most of what you'll need to know. then you'll need to read some posts in the internals section concerning heads. there's been a TON of talk in here lately about heads, so there should be no lack of reading for you. nobody is going to be able to sit you down and tell you exactly what will be the best combo for you....only you will be able to figure out what will fit you best. only you know exactly what you want the car to do, how you want it to behave, what kind of numbers you want it to make, how you want it to handle, how long you want it to make the kind of hp you want, where you want the torque, all that stuff. these are all things you need to figure out. i researched this **** for five months before i figured out what cam i wanted to get. i read jrp's cam guide prolly four times before i started asking questions. i still read it just to learn more. keep reading, see what has worked for other people, find people that are trying to do something similar to you, see what they did, or didn't do. ask them questions. call a few sponsers, talk to them about it. you can't just post up and expect someone to spell out a combination. everyone will tell you something different, because everyone will have their favorites.

personally, i think you should look into a strong custom cam, somewhere in the 236/242 on a 110 lsa with a good set of stage 2 or 2.5 ls6 heads. get all of the bolt-ons(asp under drive pulley, long tube headers, lid, ls6 intake(if its a 98-00), ported throttle body, good exhaust, electric water pump maybe). if you're an automatic, get a good and high stall, say a 4000, maybe a 4400. if you're a m6, get a good clutch. either way you'll need a 12bolt or a 9inch rear end.

there, you at least have my opinion. hopefully others will add in theirs. this should give you somewhat of a start. go search. as jrp would put it, USE THE ******* SEARCH BUTTON. its your friend. good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IWannaSS
this car is gonna be a daily driven z28, with a 80mm TB, the patriot stage II heads, hooker long tubes with a cat-less y pipe with magnaflow or borla cat back. and then a cam, and im also unsure about what chip or tuning i should get. also if ill need to upgrade my fuel system. i might also get nitrous if i still have money.

for power gains, id like to compete with stock and lightly moded 03 cobra's, so id like the power around 475

ps. even tho its gonna be daily driven, i want a really lumpy idle, i want the big cam sound.
You don't have to go that big to compete with 03 cobras unless you are looking to race top end or beat them on the dyno. If you're gonna go that huge with the cam you're going to have clearance issues and why stop with stage 2s? You could always go stage 3s. For a daily driver that's waaay too much. Just my opinion. Just get a 220-224 cam, stage 2 heads and a bunch of suspension work. Or even TSPs 225 cam I hear it's nice. P.S. I have a lumpy idle on mine it gets old in a daily.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put together an applicable plan with budget in mind and go from there. you seem to be throwing out alot of "i want this, and and i want that" but you dont seem to know what all that entails and the pro's and con's and sacrifices your going to have to make.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
PZ, why can Aussie's run bigger cams? And whats with the maffless tuning? Why do they get away with that ****? Something with them being in the southern hemisphere? LOL. I'm lost....or is it just cuz they're nuts down there....with no real scientific reason....??
Well besides speed/density tuning, they run independent TB/intake combos.
Yes you are reading correctly! 1 TB/every cylinder.

I heard a clip on a Holden with a 106 lsa cam that idfed like a 224/112lsa, even better.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Well besides speed/density tuning, they run independent TB/intake combos.
Yes you are reading correctly! 1 TB/every cylinder.

I heard a clip on a Holden with a 106 lsa cam that idfed like a 224/112lsa, even better.
how do they pull that stuff off? and why don't we get this stuff? this isn't fair LOL. I've been to Austrailia, when I was still in high school, that place is freakin awesome. i wanna go back. they rock down there.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
how do they pull that stuff off? and why don't we get this stuff? this isn't fair LOL. I've been to Austrailia, when I was still in high school, that place is freakin awesome. i wanna go back. they rock down there.
Just different Schools of Hot rodding. Holden is a pioneer in LS1 territory, they put out some impressive combos, all that just filters down to the high octane community, much cheaper than US too.

I've been wanting to go there myself on a 2 week LS1 schooling trip.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

I was down there on a study abroad. I saw 1 Mustang Cobra, 1 Corvette, and 10000 Nissan Skylines.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BatmanLS1
I was down there on a study abroad. I saw 1 Mustang Cobra, 1 Corvette, and 10000 Nissan Skylines.
LOL...
Yeap I know the feeling, got to admit some all wheel drive ones are pretty impressive though. I know a couple here that run 9.5, but these are gutted track cars. On the Street, I whip their butts.
The best part is from a dig and then you hear that clutch disintegrate
Old 09-02-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

nissan skylines are pretty sweet cars....thats one of the few imports i'd actually drive. of course it'd be the car i'd park on the curb in the dirt while the ls1 sits pretty and clean in the garage....but thats not the point.