Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another "Will the T Rex cam fit in my car" question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Yet another "Will the T Rex cam fit in my car" question.

Sorry for asking this again but I want a bigger cam in my 408. The one I have now is in my sig and I wished I had gone bigger when I did it the first time. The heads I have are Absolute Speed Stage 2 heads with I believe stock valve sizes and milled .030. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way to know until you check, but probably not. That cam is very tight with stock heads. Also fyi, this cam doesnt seem to perform as well as one would expect with ported heads. It was designed to work with stock heads.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think for your intent you should call up futral or tsp and talk about what you want out of this cam, and get a custom one off spec'd out for you. thats the way to go one you leave the realm of stock cubes....
Old 09-01-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a valve job and bigger valves, there's probably no chance the T-ReX is going to fit without flycutting. I'm guessing the pistons you're running do not have valve reliefs, correct?

Heck, if I had a 408, I'd go bigger than the T-ReX.

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
No way to know until you check, but probably not. That cam is very tight with stock heads. Also fyi, this cam doesnt seem to perform as well as one would expect with ported heads. It was designed to work with stock heads.
I wouldn't call a cam with more than .600" of lift one specifically designed for stock heads. Just because it was designed to fit stock heads without modifications doesn't mean it's not capable of producing more power with better flowing heads.

Josh
Old 09-02-2004, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry the pistons have 2 cc valve relief. I had to take that out of my sig because it was too big and forgot. Am I going to have issues with a bigger cam fiting or is 2 cc valve relief enough?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Also fyi, this cam doesnt seem to perform as well as one would expect with ported heads. It was designed to work with stock heads.
Not sure why people keep saying things like that. You're just spreading hearsay. The cam was designed to fit without flycutting with stock heads...thats it..the valve events were as big as they could go and still fit. Add ported heads, and the car will gain power...its simple physics...more air in and out=more power.

RedReaper-Call TR and talk to Paul or Jason. They'll help you figure it out.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

It SHOULD fit your engine with no problem. But it's always good to know what your piston to deck clearance is (in the clylinder or out of the clylinder), how much was the heads shaved? etc.

Dan
Old 09-02-2004, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

All I know is the Jay at Absolute said they were milled 30, to bump compression.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wayne,

That cam will fit just fine with no prob in your motor, just give me a call and I'll get you hooked up with the same cam that I put in Amber's car(she was with More performance) She dynoed 431rwhp with just headers and my cam...stock cubes.. I can do you something nasty and won't hurt your pocketbook.

later,
Brian
Old 09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
Wayne,

That cam will fit just fine with no prob in your motor, just give me a call and I'll get you hooked up with the same cam that I put in Amber's car(she was with More performance) She dynoed 431rwhp with just headers and my cam...stock cubes.. I can do you something nasty and won't hurt your pocketbook.

later,
Brian

Ok I will definately be giving you a call!!