Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats it take to have machine shop retap for 1/2 head studs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats it take to have machine shop retap for 1/2 head studs?

Im interested in having a local machine shop redo my block for 1/2" studs which alot of the big blower/nitrous guys seem to move to when they cant keep the heads down....

How much would i expect to pay?? also anything special about it they should know or i should make sure they know before they try it.

Also i figure ill have to have the heads drilled for 1/2" as well?
Old 09-02-2004, 06:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Block rethread

Just make sure the new threads are roll formed and not cut with a tap. The roll former compresses the metal greatly increasing the strength of the aluminum threads in the block.

An alternative would be to use the stock diameter studs but order them from ARP with their stronger material.

I included in a post last night on the forced induction page a bit about heads lifting. The cause is detonation. I have seen heads lift with half inch studs on iron Nascar Ford blocks that had too much timing, ran lean or both. Something is going to give under detonation the heads lifting are acting as a safety valve.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Developmet
Sponsor
Old 09-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Banned

Hmmm very interesting and thank you for the imput...I never thought about detonation as the cause...maybe ill just order the stronger head studs and see where i get from there..thanks
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Do not mess with the machining! It is not worth it, get ARP's L19 head studs. APE had a GP on them a while back so they still may have some in stock.

Tom