Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completing engine swap

Old 09-04-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Completing engine swap

What do I need to do to bleed the following systems?

1. Brakes (dropped k-member)
2. Coolant
3. Power steering

TIA
Old 09-04-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did...

I got a pressure bleeder for the brakes. Made that an easy one-man job. The only place I found to get a master cylinder cap was a place called Performance Garage or something like that. It was about $20 for an aluminum knurled cap with a pre-threaded hole for an air fitting.

Coolant, I just poured it in slowly and got it full, let it settle, filled it, and so on. I also had a little hole in the thermostat, so that let the coolant/air pass into the block before it was started.

Power steering, I did while the wheels were off the ground and the engine turned off. Filled it, turned it from lock to lock a few times, checked it and filled it again, turned it lock to lock a few more times. With the engine off I could hear the difference in the sound when the air finished working it's way out. Then I topped it off according to the cap dipstick.
Old 09-04-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

I used a Mityvac on each caliper for the brakes after pumping the pedal 30-40 times. Pedal seemed fine.

I did the same as you on the coolant.

I filled the power steering, started the car, pulled it out of the garage and topped 'er off.

Everything was easier then I expected.

Search this Thread