Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something is gone

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is gone

Ok today I was coming home from work I was messing with a newer cobra not a 03 but it was fast. I was spraying him and i was barely leaving him, so i guess i got a lil stupid to win. Well I notice my Air fuel gauge go lean , but i was stupid and didnt think about it at the time and was on the bottle for atleast 25 or more seconds well after i pulled a full 2 cars the motor started to sound like **** so i let off pulled over to the shoulder and turned her off and poped the hood, everything looked ok. I drove her the rest of the way home just limping her in through each gear not going over 3 k. I pull into my driveway and she is missing and all kinds of **** she shut herself off and i am very afraid. Well i take the 2 plugs out closest to the front of the car and they are covered with oil and smashed. So i got a neighbor to help me push her into the garage and i havent had the guts to look at the car since i know its my fault this **** happened. I have looked at the goodside, I do have a 6.0L short block that i got while i was drunk and was thinking i could make a hella stroker, but still that takes money that i cannot afford to spend anymore, so my guess is the car will be in the garage for atleast a few months at the most can anyone give me some ideas of what might of happened? btw the oil light was on the whole way home
Old 09-04-2004, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like you exceeded your injectors and leaned her out real bad and maybe blew your rings? if oil is all over your plugs thats def bad. if your A/F guage went mad lean early on, and you kept sprayin, then to me that sounds like you might have maxed out your pump or your injectors. bad juju paduwon. you might try posting in the nitrous section, cuz it sounds like you might have fried your rings. since you did this on the bottle they may have something to offer.

if i'm totally off....someone please correct me. thats just what it sounds like to me.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if i tell u the plugs are smashed would that help any?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

You said that in the first post, but I don't know what that would mean besides detonation. And that would be from running so lean. Which is from maxing your fuel system.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok sorry i am just worried. i wish i wouldve posted this earlier when it happened but i was just trying not to think about it
Old 09-04-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

its all good man. what rpm's were you at when you noticed the A/F guage go lean? did the motor drop off any?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If by smashed you mean the fingers are bent over touching the electrodes then you went way lean and the plugs got too hot. Same thing happened to me except mine were totally gone, not bent over. I replaced them and it seemed to run ok but didnt feel as strong. Found out I had burnt a hole in my #7 piston. Engine was shot, ended up doing what is in my sig.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would guess that a ring gland let go cracked or something along that line. They heat the rings expand and try to dig into the walls and usually crack if not remove a piece of the piston.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was almost at the top of fourth when this happend about 5200rpms it slowed a lil bit but i was too stupid to let off, so i took it to fifth gear
Old 09-05-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well it went lean, and besides your plugs, something is fried. The oil is an indication of crack or fried rings.(or both)
One thing though, why would you spray 25 seconds???
Don't you know it should be 15>20sec total spray? and in fifth??
The load on the engine is tremedeous at that ratio.
For sure it is teardown time.. Good luck and I hoped you learned from your mistakes.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sure way to tell how the insides look..Drop the oil and pull a valve cover...Or run a Compr. test,sounds like you go of some rings though for sure.. sorry man good luck...