Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a "How To" for re-assembly of the block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have a "How To" for re-assembly of the block?

I had my block pulled apart and cleaned up, now it's time to re-asemble it and I'm looking for do's and don'ts or any tips... anyone have something written up?

Right now I have the bare block, new piston rings, new rod and main bearings (cam bearings already installed), and new gaskets. Where do I begin? What lubricant to use?

TIA!

Rob
Old 09-05-2004, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Toonz
I had my block pulled apart and cleaned up, now it's time to re-asemble it and I'm looking for do's and don'ts or any tips... anyone have something written up?

Right now I have the bare block, new piston rings, new rod and main bearings (cam bearings already installed), and new gaskets. Where do I begin? What lubricant to use?

TIA!

Rob
Don't put it together yourself if you've never done it before.
Do bring it to a qualified engine builder!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLED28
Don't put it together yourself if you've never done it before.
Do bring it to a qualified engine builder!
Normally I would agree with you, but I've got to learn somehow. I will have local help from plenty of guys with experience, they're just busy until next week and I want to look into it. It can't be that hard.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not that difficult, just gotta kinda know what your doing and be careful. I've done a few, and will actually be re-assembling mine next weekend or the week after. I can take pics and try to do a little writeup if you want, but again, wont be for a few weeks
Old 09-05-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get the GM Service Manual to start with. Read it thoroughly and at least 2-3 times to get the idea of the order of things, etc.

I'd also buy a few books on how to assemble high performance shortblocks, by Lingenfelter, et al to get some more knowledge with tips/tricks, etc.

Also, buy the best quality tools you can afford. Do NOT skimp on TQ wrenches, rod bolt stretch gauges, ring filers, etc. Use the right tools to do it right the first time.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a future "Why did I spin a bearing??" post coming...

It's not just the experience you need, it's the tools.

If you don't have a set of inside and outside micrometers, an angle-torque meter, a super-duper-accurate torque wrench, a rod bolt stretch gauge, and a complete set of torque and clearance specifications, you're in for disappointment.

Originally Posted by Toonz
Normally I would agree with you, but I've got to learn somehow. I will have local help from plenty of guys with experience, they're just busy until next week and I want to look into it. It can't be that hard.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah and before anything else get your block machined (unless that's what you meant by "cleaned up")
In any case you're gonna have to take it to a shop to internally balance and blueprint it. (Otherwise why bother to rebuild?)
Old 09-05-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by crainholio
It's not just the experience you need, it's the tools.

If you don't have a set of inside and outside micrometers, an angle-torque meter, a super-duper-accurate torque wrench, a rod bolt stretch gauge, and a complete set of torque and clearance specifications, you're in for disappointment.
Yep, that's what I'm dealing with right now. I've been looking at places for those tools, and also a dial indicator. Those things are freaking expensive. The speciality tools are all I need and I can put my shortblock together, but the cost of the tools is almost as much as More Perf will charge me to build it. I'm in the process of making a decision lol.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GM Service manual is what I'm lacking... I'll try and pick that up this week. Tools shouldn't be an issue with the guys I have helping me in the area, one of them has been building LS1's for a while so I'm sure I can borrow what I need. I was just wanting read up on the procedure so I know what I'm looking at... guess I'll start looking at the books. Thanks.

For safety purposes all my work will be double checked by a certified engine builder, but I still want to do it myself.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get a professional thats worked with the gen 3 before and maybe see if you can help if he"ll let you.My builder charged like 300 bucks thats to assembly the block,install the heads, degree the cam set the lash on the rockers install front pulley.MONEY WELL SPENT!!!!! If you do it yourself you"ll be and then you"ll
Old 09-05-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't do it yourself, you'll never learn how it's done. The first 'educational' experience can / will be expensive, but it'll be worth it, IMO. You'll be ready for next time.

Don't assume anything. Don't assume STD bearings and a new crank will give you .0025" of bearing clearance. Don't be surprised if you have to buy 2 or 3 sets of bearings to get the bottom end put together properly. Don't assume Plastigage is 100% accurate. Yep, those tools are expensive.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Back when I learned about SBC's, I took my parts to my mechanic, and after showing my interests and seriousness in this sport, he agreed to let me watch & "give a hand" as he called it.
You'll be amazed how many tricks, procedures are not in a book.

Still you will need to internally balance the whole set up!
Get a pro advice and guiding, or this whole thing will be more of a nightmare than a learning experience.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

I think it would be great if someone would do a write up on rebuilding the LS1. This would be a big help to those of us who havent done it before! I know a pro builder is probobly the easiest way to go, but I think all of us would enjoy the experience and satifaction of building one on our own!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You'll be amazed how many tricks, procedures are not in a book.

Still you will need to internally balance the whole set up!
Get a pro advice and guiding, or this whole thing will be more of a nightmare than a learning experience.
Thats what I am saying! There is so many tricks to a LS1, even a SBC builder will have problems untill they buildup a few. The LS1 platform is a totally different animal. You could always come up here and I'll build it with you The other thing is do you have all the proper tools, there is alot of special measuring tools needed.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Launching!

You gotta learn somehow.

So I'm buying a low milage Holden LS1 long block that was replaced under warranty for piston slap.

I figure Cam swaps first and then the Heads before I tear down the Block.

Should have it in the next few weeks.

Better to learn on that then the one in my car LOL
Old 09-06-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Guys,
you have my props for the drive, courage, passion, and interest you are showing.
BUT you are missing a few important points.
1- you can't just put an LS1 together and think it will be running great.
2- This engine is more sensitive than others when it comes to clearances.
3- It MUST be internally balanced.
4- It MUST be blueprinted for any type of performance rebuilt.

If those points had no meaning, then all of us would be professional LS1 builders.
A short block is NOT a cam or head swap.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Launching!

I agree with you 100%.

Unless you are experienced your best bet is to have a pro assemble your short block, especially if you plan on making big power with a high revving LS1.

Better to spend a few bucks than run over your crankshaft
Old 09-06-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I'm beginning to see the point, problem is, I'm not sure if any of the shops around here that have much LS1 experience. The shop that did the teardown and cleanup of the block has worked on a few, but I don't think they are experts by any means. Should I even try using them or ship it off to someone that knows the LS1 better? Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Toonz you said you had somebody that builds ls1s. Im sure Widomkr and others can make everything go right.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattsls1
Toonz you said you had somebody that builds ls1s. Im sure Widomkr and others can make everything go right.
Bob knows the LTI like the back of his hand, not sure what his LS1 knowledge is. Chris knows the heads and such great, gotta call to see what his block experience is but he's still in CO taking a long weekend. Just trying to figure out the best and somewhat quickest way to get it running again.