Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a unique ring set-up in an all out race motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using a unique ring set-up in an all out race motor?

I"m wanting to build a ironblock stroker,4.0 or 4.125 possilble a 4.25 stroke,want to use as long of rod as possible.My question on rings is maybe a 2 ring piston to move com. ht. up.This would be used with a vacuum pump for sure,also what about a gapless ring set-up?This is a 1\8 race only car rpm from 4500 to say 7500 max.CR around 13 to 1,Big solid roller cam too.What would happen if you didn"t use an oil ring?I know it would burn oil but would it smoke like a forestfire?Also would fouling the plugs be major,like I said its only got to go 1\8 or 5 seconds.
I know I"m probably going to get blasted for this question but still going to ask.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

You will need to run a pretty small ring pack to get that piston made. Your c/d on that piston is going to be really small. You may also want to look into using a smaller wrist pin to give yourself a little more area to work with the ring package. If you have any questions give me a call and I can go through this with you.

Also you will wantto use a oil ring, unless you plan on doing a lot of maintance on this engine. Ring life is not as long lasting when you remove the oil ring. You will need to rering the engine often and the benefits are not that great, HP wise.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Chris,I will call you,I think I might have talked to you a while back at Diamond pistons,not sure.Was going to build a street ls1 but I already was neck deep in a 408 sb Chevy,this is totaly a different animal.