Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pickup tube/O-ring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pickup tube/O-ring question

Where is the O-ring located on the oil pump? If I took the oil pickup tube off, would I have to be carelful to reinstall it, or is it located elsewhere? I am getting shitty oil pressure and I'm wondering why. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The O-ring is located on the left side on the bottom of the pump and yes you will have to watch how you reinstall it as to not pinch it etc... You'll have to take all the oil pan bolts out to get enough room to get the 10mm off of the pick up tube. not hard but be carful not to drop the bolt and take your time don't get in a hurry or you will only frustrate yourself.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you replace the O-ring like that? My friend said that he was careful on the reinstall. Could he have still pinched it?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, he still could have pinched it. Did you replace your oil pump, or put on a new chain?

The only way I know, for sure not to pinch it is, once you have the pump off, is slide the pump onto the crankshaft (lined up correctly), then spin it over to the left and insert the pick-up tube and seat it all the way in (very easy with this method), tighten the retaining bolt, and then lastly bolt the pump to the block. Still possile to pinch it this way, I'm sure. Just seems the easiest and I've done it a couple of ways.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:47 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

This is some of the questions I was asking in the pm cause if you used a Rollmaster double roler he could have put one of the spacers on backwards witch will block about 2/3's of the opening and can cause just what you are describing etc... More details on the motor are needed. And Ive done it both ways Benkey, and it has always depended on how tight the pick up tube was as to how I installed the pick up tube.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

completely stock internals. Nothing was done except switching the oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. It now has a rod knock. I ******* hate life right now.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cerebrex
completely stock internals. Nothing was done except switching the oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube. It now has a rod knock. I ******* hate life right now.
If the pickup tube was changed you could have issues with the o-ring.

If it has rod knock, the bottom end is done.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the O-ring were pinched, you have seen a significant decrease in oil pressure.

The best method I've found for re-installing he P/U tube and NOT pinching the O-ring is to put the O-ring on the P/U tube first, then insert the tube into the oil pump, allowing the O-ring to "roll" up the tube and seat as it's inserted.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

The motor has about 5 miles on it since install, so the bottom end definitely isn't done. Bearings maybe...

Anyway, I am getting about half my normal oil pressure.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cerebrex
The motor has about 5 miles on it since install, so the bottom end definitely isn't done. Bearings maybe...

Anyway, I am getting about half my normal oil pressure.
When I said the bottom end was done I was referring to the bearings, at the minimum. Either way, the motor needs to be pulled and the bottom end torn down.

Sorry for the confusion. No point in searching for anymore causes of the low oil pressure b/c the motor has to come out anyway and you'll more than likely find the cause to the low oil pressure when you begin disassembly.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonig to take it somewhere and let them deal with it. I put about 10 miles on this engine before it did that, and am sick of working on a car that is almsot 500 miles away from me. Thanks for the help, and I'll probably just replace the bearings (it's a VERY VERY slight knock... hard to hear unless you get down on it). This **** is really taxing me