Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor is out and getting alot of new parts. Missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor is out and getting alot of new parts. Missing anything?

Long story short - valvespring broke. Mr. Piston and Mr. Valve got into a bit of a boxing match, can't decide who won yet. So now the motor is out and torn down to the bare block. Motor has been to the machine shop for a cylinder hone, polished crank, and a nice hot bath. Heads will be at the machine shop tomorrow for a cleaning as well and possibly a valvejob if necessary. New parts going in:
LS6 valves
Crane double springs
Thunder pushrods
Comp lifters
Thunder T-Rex cam
Mahle pistons and rods (forged)
ARP studs/bolts for EVERYTHING
LS6 oil pump
Yank ST3500 going back to Yank to become SS3800
New built 4L60E tranny

As you can see, I'm the guy that goes, "well, while I'm here, I might as well do this, and then I GOTTA do this, and I should upgrade THIS..." So what else am I leaving out here? Things I don't want to touch- I will not bore the motor unless I have to (and I didn't). I will not port the heads (want to see what I can do on the stockers first). The one thing I am looking at now is the timing chain. Is it worth it to go with a double roller? What's a good brand to go with for a single roller? Is a new stock one good enough?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

ttt

Anybody?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Part list looks good. I did the same thing, broke a spring and bent a valve, ended up pulling the block completely apart and having it all cleaned, etc. Now I'm worrying about who is putting it back together.

Anyways, I would go ahead and replace the timing chain, they aren't that expensive and since you've got it all apart you might as well. The Rollmaster Double chain is only $8 more than the single so go for it. Can't hurt.