Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Install

Is there anyone around Northern Virginia or Maryland that can do a cam install in a day. I wanted to do it myself but I was supposed to have it done way back in April but with work and a broken foot the cam install kept getting pushed back.

Well now its September and I want to get it put in bafore I have to put the car away form the winter. If anyone knows a shop that can do it in a day that is around the Metro DC/VA area, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone.................
Old 09-07-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about 2 to 3 hours from you but well worth the trip - Head out early, get to Rapid Motor sports in PA by 08:30 and he'll have you on the road including tune by 5:00PM

I'm sure there are other good shops around, but this is a good bet from my experience.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

FInally did the install my self. Im glad I did because it was easy and cheap..............Spent the $ I woulda spent on the install on a compressor and some pneumatic tools!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam install?

I'm planning on a cam install soon. Was there anything tricky about it? Did you use the ls1howto.com instructions? And how hard is it to get the cam installed properly.,,is it just about matching the dots ups?

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

The install was pretty easy but then again I used to be a mechaniic in a chevy / lotus / lamborghini dealer. Im pretty sure most anyone can do it though as its really just parts replacement. Lining up the timing dots is not an issue.

Only tricky part is the O ring on the oil pump and the radiator (you will need a friend to help you with the radiator).

I also used the Vinci/Crane valespring tool and man does that make life easy. If your going to have a Cam in your car and hence have the need to change springs every 20k miles or so you may want to just spend the $99 and get that tool. You can do 2 springs at once and there are NO clearance issues.

I used 2 x 5/16 brakelines to hold the lifters up. Just cut the flared end off and use a hammer to ovalize the passenger side. It works great and is only $5 bucks.

Last edited by shaneSS; 09-28-2004 at 08:00 AM.