Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with leaking crank seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with leaking crank seal

Hi guys I am usually in the truck section but thought I would come over here since you guys seem to change pullies alot. Anyway, I am taking my ASP pulley off my truck and replacing it with the stocker because it is leaking and I need to replace the crank seal, plus I really dont see any gains with it, just reduced electrical power. What are the steps when replacing your crank seal and re-installing the pulley to make sure it wont leak again?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a hammer and a flathead screwdriver to pound it out, and I think some heat from a torch helped a little. The new one I hammered in I think with a board so he went in evenly. Put some RTV around it so it doesnt leak. Then put the timing cover back on and then re-install the pulley. I am not sure if you can put some oil on the seal for lubrication, I heard that you shouldnt, but I am not sure. I did and dont have any problems.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen you have to put all the bolts on loosely the two on the bottom also. With your new seal in place install witch ever pulley you want to run and then tighten up the bolts on the face of the cover first then tighten up the two on the bottom of the pan last etc... Then reinstall all other pieces like the factory call for. Good luck! Oh and don't forget to put a dab of silicone on each corner of the timming chain cover.