Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definition of "Daily Driver"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definition of "Daily Driver"

I hear ALOT of people ask "will XXX work in my daily driver??"....WHAT exactly do y'all define as a daily driver ???

My definition is:

* 100% reliability...it HAS to start and run when I need it to, not when it feels like it
* NO driveability issues (no stalling, no stumbling, no hot/cold starting issues, etc)
*NO race-only parts necessary.....I can deal with bigger valve springs, hardened pushrods and higher stall converters but HAVING to stud the block or **** like that is out

The reason I'm asking this in Internal Engine is because I want to make 100% certain that a GM LS1 HOT cam and ported heads qualify by my standards as "daily drivable"
Old 09-09-2004, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

WOW...let the flaming begin. There is no definition of "daily driver" because it can only be based on each individuals opinion. I drive a trex in my daily driver and in dallas at that. I plan on installing a TH400 with a shortened 9" spool. Lots of other little stuff like solid motor mounts. The point is, there is no one definition of "daily driver", it is only what you can handle (or want) out of your car.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe Parish can tell us since hes the "fastest daily driven NBS"
Old 09-09-2004, 03:11 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

Old 09-09-2004, 04:25 AM
TECH Addict

OK.....so "I" want a vehicle that will drive like stock, will have a litle lope to it and won't **** off the girlfriend (BIG BIG factor here), that to me (currently) is my definition of a daily driver...will the combo I've chosen get me that ????

I used to drive a 69 Nova with an .030 over 400, Stage II Trick Flow heads, dual 450cfm Holleys on a tunnel-ram, a 244º @ .050 .575 lift solid lifter cam, LT's with straight pipes, a TH400 with a 3800 stall, a 12 bolt with 4.11's and a Detroit, and a 6-point cage.........and I very much considered that "daily drivable"........and it was except for the weekly valve adjustments, constant headache from the exhaust, having to put in a lead-addative EVERY TIME I filled up, 6 mpg, the realization that there was NO SUCH THING as a low-rpm roll from a stop-light and the fact that I couldn't keep rear tires on the bitch to save my life....and I loved the **** out of that car, but at this point in my life if I tried that I'd have my ***** cut off and hung from the mirror (the girlfriend factor at work)

I realize we all have our own definition of "daily-driven" and I'm REALLY not trying to cause a flame war by asking this question....I'm just trying to think about the "average Joe" who doesn't know **** about these motors and wants to put a new cam in and gain a few ponies....

Last edited by Yelo; 09-09-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:44 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you cant pinpoint something subjective.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:48 AM
TECH Junkie

If you are basing your mods on what your girlfriend will want you to do then it is best to not mod at all because it is a landslide, Once you mod you will keep going.

If you need it to be 100 % streetable I would not even get a hotcam, look into an ls6 cam or better yet if you want better power one of the stealth cams offered by different vendors. The hotcam from all the threads I have has a big lope to it so your girl probably won't like it.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
you cant pinpoint something subjective.
Fair enough.....

So, in the opinion of those on here.....will the combo I've chosen get me what "I" want by "my" definition ???
Old 09-09-2004, 06:24 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just read your post completely, misse the HC the first time out. mike is right, with the HC you'll get all the symptoms of a big cam but you'll making less power. i however dont agree with mike on the ls6 cam, not for a heavy *** truck anyway. honestly if you have the time and patients i'd get the best pair of heads you can afford, flow them with your intake, and then have a custom cam ground to your application, emisssions and idle requirements, and should still make great power. then have a competent tuner tune your **** and you should be good to go.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you mod your car based on what your girlfriend/wife will like...then maybe you need to look elsewhere. there are plenty of people that wouldnt have a prob with what you "like". Ive dated both. My idea of daily driver....H/C/I with a 4.10s/spool. soon to be a stroker in there. Driveability is 90% in the tuning.

And if "she" dont like it....tuff. Its mine. there will be someone that does.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Daily driver implies you drive it 7 days a week...

I guess if you drive it daily it is a daily driver
Old 09-09-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Be carefull of opinions on here. Modding is a slippery slope. I know each change I made was incremental and I said "Oh, this isn't bad, I can deal with that." It was easy in the beginning because the ET times just kept dropping and that made it easy to rationalize. Now, after a couple years and less regular track visits, I've decided that I went to far and need to pull back just a bit. If many of these daily drivers today went out and test drove a stock vette or near stock 2002 WS6, they would realize how far their cars have gone away from a stock feel.

May not be a big deal for 21 year olds, but us old farts grow tired of it. Just look at what 2 of the admins drive. Nineball's SS and Colonel have "Stealth" mods. Both those guys had 10/11 second "daily drivers" 2 years ago.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

BTW, there is a 5+ page long truck cam thread in this section. Look in the last 2 weeks and you'll find.
TECH Fanatic

Daily driver is a car you get in, fire it up (scaring the neighbors), and go down the road scaring the **** out of everyone at the red lights...lumpity lump...
anything else you might as well be driving a honda
11 Second Club

Like said above. Daily driver is a car that is being driven daily. Driven to work everday, to the grocery store, to the mall, to the movies, to the ***** house, etc.

Car stalling, being loud and unconfortable without AC is all personal preference. All of this does not affect if a car is daily driven or not. Some people might like driving there car to work with wheelie bars.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Launching!

I agree with JRP, this will net you the best result, yet it is gonna cost (so i hope your gf doesnt care about that).

I also know where you are coming from b/c my wife will not even sit in my car anymore (she has literally hated it ever since i started modding it). I keep telling her that i am going to get her tahoe next...lol... and all she says is that "you can aslong as it doesn't sound like your car."
Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lucian
I agree with JRP, this will net you the best result, yet it is gonna cost (so i hope your gf doesnt care about that).

I also know where you are coming from b/c my wife will not even sit in my car anymore (she has literally hated it ever since i started modding it). I keep telling her that i am going to get her tahoe next...lol... and all she says is that "you can aslong as it doesn't sound like your car."

That is because you have an ORY with loudmouth catback
Old 09-09-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Afr 205 Heads + 220@.050, 110lsa Cam = Strong Daily Driver
Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

shoot I didn't realize he was talking about a truck, you know the most streetable way to make alot of power is drop a big cube motor in there Might not be cost efficient but streetable it is.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

To be daily driveable to me, engine wise:

- If it's an A4, the powerband MUST NOT require a converter to fill in a loss of low-end power. Low-end is down as far as 1,100rpm.

- The engine must start, idle, and roll to a stop without issues. No surging, stalling, or loading up.

- Valvetrain must be quiet as stock.

- Engine/cam must be at least breathing well, if not in the beginning of the powerband at 65-70mph.

- Throttle must be sharp and responsive during casual driving on the street.

When I had my 220/220-112 in the truck - I loved the sound of the idle, but my girlfriend said it sounded like a boat. (she must hear some nasty boats?). From what I understand, the 220/220-112 will idle a lot better than the Hotcam - so if your girlfriend is anything like mine, she probably won't care for it.

Quick Reply: Definition of "Daily Driver"