Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Retard Problem...Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Knock Retard Problem...Help

Well we just got finished running the computer on my car and during regular driving, (under about 4500rpm) the knock retard is normal, but a WOT the knock retard goes crazy, plus my long term fuel trims are around 6, i went to installuniversity.com and they have a section about knock retard and they basically take off all the aftermarket parts and replaced them with the stock parts (pulleys, added a 160t-stat, good gas, stock MAF housing, and messed with the programmer) after all that they still had knock, my gas is good and everything else is pretty much stock, does anybody have any idea's of where this knock could be coming from? the only thing i can think of is sparkplug gapping?? installuniversity.com aslo mentioned maybe bent or slightly warped pushrods? as for me running lean im guessing a vacum leak somewhere after the MAF? any help would be great! thansk
Old 09-12-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Nobody have any ideas???
Old 09-12-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98's are known to have problems with false knock.have you tried installing the updated knock sensors?how much timing are you getting at wot?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 66deuce
98's are known to have problems with false knock.have you tried installing the updated knock sensors?how much timing are you getting at wot?
Havent tried updated knock sensors, u know how much they cost? im not sure what the timing is at WOT, its logged in AutoTap on my friends computer, i'll have to ask him, did you ever have a problem with this?

EDIT: Mods are just a lid and a cutout pretty much

Last edited by 98NBM_TransAm; 09-12-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes,i still do from time to time.i can't remember how much i paid for them.just call the dealer.make sure you have good gas and the right heat range plug.i run the tr55s,as do a lot of people on the board.what i ended up doing was basically copying my high octane tables to the low octane tables with HP Tuners software.but we have 93 octane where i live,so if you do something like that make sure you have good gas at all times.if you are only getting a couple of degrees KR, IMO i wouldn't sweat it that much.