Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Need to get pan off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Need to get pan off.

Hey guys. Yesterday I started my cam install. All was going well, got the new cam slid in and everything. Then, today I started on taking off the crank gear and oil pump. I got the oil pump and pickup tube off, but the gear was giving me trouble. My puller kept coming off, so i got the bright idea of tying the three arms of the puller together so that it wouldn't pop off the sprocket, well the wire broke and a piece just so happened to land in the pan! Well, the wire was copper! A magnet wouldn't get it, and when i tried to fish it closer it went the other way. So now i have to drop the pan, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about this? I don't have experience with dropping the kmember at all. Not to mention the ac compressor, power steering lines, and all the brake lines. Thanks in advance for helping get me out of this mess! Jarrod
Old 09-12-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTT. Has this happened to anyone else before. I really need some advice.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=pan
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take out the motor mount bolts, lift the engine at the tranny/bellhousing as high as it will go and then lower the k-member and you can get out the pan. I just did this on a buddy's Z28 a few weeks ago
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks for the reply. When you say lower the k-member, can I just loosen the six bolts and drop it a little with a jack. I really don't want to have to disconnect all the lines on the k member. Also, I'm not sure how much i could raise the engine by the bellhousing because i have LTs and ORY. These are already hugged up tight against the underside of the car. I might be able the motor an inch. Will this, combined with loosening k member bolts give me enough clearance? I don't necessarily have to drop it, but i imagine if i could get my hand in there i could prob. just pull it out huh? thanks again!!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Hey thanks for the reply. When you say lower the k-member, can I just loosen the six bolts and drop it a little with a jack. I really don't want to have to disconnect all the lines on the k member. Also, I'm not sure how much i could raise the engine by the bellhousing because i have LTs and ORY. These are already hugged up tight against the underside of the car. I might be able the motor an inch. Will this, combined with loosening k member bolts give me enough clearance? I don't necessarily have to drop it, but i imagine if i could get my hand in there i could prob. just pull it out huh? thanks again!!
You'll need two jacks.

One to jack up the motor at the bellhousing after you have removed the motor mount long through bolts. Jack it as high as it will go.

Loosen all the (6) K-member bolts while supporting it with the jack, once they are loose you can lower it. If it's not enough, remove the bolts and just lower the k-member a bit more until you get the clearance.

Also, you'll need to disconnect the steering shaft, it's an 11 MM bolt at the base.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I highly suggest getting a buddy to help you. He/She can lower the k-member while you try to remove the pan.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the tips cannibal! I'll give it a try later this week.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why don"t you drain your oil as it may work its way down if you lucky as hell???Could you rig up a small hose on a shop vac and see if you might could suck it out.Might work,might not!!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:12 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by FASTONE
Why don"t you drain your oil as it may work its way down if you lucky as hell???Could you rig up a small hose on a shop vac and see if you might could suck it out.Might work,might not!!!!
I agree, I'd exhaust every option b-4 fighting the pan
Even trying the bubble gum on a stick
Old 09-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

but the gear was giving me trouble. My puller kept coming off, so i got the bright idea of tying the three arms of the puller together so that it wouldn't pop off the sprocket, well the wire broke and a piece just so happened to land in the pan!

I had the same problem with my puller so I tied the legs together with a 3" hose clamp!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by luv2spd
TTT. Has this happened to anyone else before. I really need some advice.
pull the engine
Old 09-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

pull the engine....
Old 09-12-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by larryhstone
pull the engine....
No need. The pan can be removed with the engine in the car.

I have personally done it. PITA, but can be done. Plus, not everyone has access to an engine hoist, etc.