Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arms?

since i ordered from SLP before they are now selling performance packages....Stage 1 2 and 3....stage one is FlowPac and Exhaust Loudmouth or PowerFlo......Stage 2 has Maf sensor 1.85 ratio rocker arms...and a handhelpd PCM Programmer......3 is headers and catted Y....but anyways...to the rocker arms...would they be good to use with the stock cam and stock springs?....do they give any actual noticealble power?....are they worth it or not unless you have a stronger Cam?...would they need tuning?...what power will they make...and will they change exhaust sound or the exhaust note?

Is this worth it and what changes should i expect...and if they are worht it what is needed for there use?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

a little more lift and other things associated with that effect, but more stress on the valvetrain. To do that swap you woul have to get their package with springs $699 I believe.
IMO too expensive for the "small benefits"

Forget that crap, get a higher stall and reward yourself with the pleasure it brings.
TCI 3000 is $450+ trans cooler.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

im converting to a M6....unsure of who to get the T56 tranny from either FLP, Jasper or some1 else? so the converter isnt gonna happen
Old 09-13-2004, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

power mods are being taken care of as well....no internal work for some time...i will be getting a stroker in the future so im not going to touch any internals except mayb heads and valves (if theya re worth it thats why im here asking)
Old 09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock rockers are junk...I would swap them.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
And who do you think makes the SLP's??
The same company that makes the stockers. SLP's are basically the same as stockers but in a higher ratio.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
haha, that's a moronic statement if I've ever seen one. AFTERMARKET rockers are junk. There is not one brand, including Jesel Adjustables, that dont flex past 6300 rpm. The stock rockers have much lighter tips, and although they are not roller tipped, the tip is not where most of your friction is anyway, its at the needle bearing. Talk to people like Jason99T/A who is running stock rockers on the fastest 346c.i. LS1 for just that reason -- that's what performs best.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
haha, that's a moronic statement if I've ever seen one. AFTERMARKET rockers are junk. There is not one brand, including Jesel Adjustables, that dont flex past 6300 rpm. The stock rockers have much lighter tips, and although they are not roller tipped, the tip is not where most of your friction is anyway, its at the needle bearing. Talk to people like Jason99T/A who is running stock rockers on the fastest 346c.i. LS1 for just that reason -- that's what performs best.
Dude I think you made an equal moronic statement

the tip is not where most of your friction is anyway
Roller tips, have less point of contact and are better centered on valve tops.

its at the needle bearing
Those bearings spilling needles all over are the crappy part of the stockers. (Nasty Perf. and Harland harp are working on a cure "C-clips")

Twisting is also a bad side effect of the stockers on high revving LSx motors. Shaft mounted cure that.

The issues with most aftermarket rockers are fitment issues on various head castings (Beside YT's and the KR issues)

If the stockers (or should I say when) quit spilling their bearings, I would stay with them because they FIT. (No grinding,hitting, spacers etc...)
Old 09-13-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree about the needle bearing part, but that is a rare occurance that the bearings explode at most. Allan at Futral always reccommends stock rockers and said he hasnt seen a problem with needle bearings in over 3 years.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a couple of threads in the last 6 months with multiple testimonies

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/177911-oops-found-stuck-my-drain-plug.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/127964-replacement-rockers-gm-any-better.html
Old 09-13-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are a dumbass. nuff said there.
tell that to the dozens and dozens..perhaps hundreds of people that have had stock rocker needle bearings in their oil pan. Some people like Jason are just lucky.

Im glad you've tested all aftermarket LS1 rockers and know they all flex...whew..i feel better now know that...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I guess Allan at Futral has NO idea what he's talking about. And i seriously doubt Jason would put something that he relies on as "Luck" into his motor that's putting down signifigantly more power than your 383. I'll simply put it this way. Those guys have seen quite a few LS1's, not to mention HUNDREDS of hours in front of a dyno, and I trust they know what works and what doesnt.

Last edited by LSUxBlake; 09-13-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I guess Allan at Futral has NO idea what he's talking about. And i seriously doubt Jason would put something that he relies on as "Luck" into his motor that's putting down signifigantly more power than your 383. I'll simply put it this way. Those guys have seen quite a few LS1's, not to mention HUNDREDS of hours in front of a dyno, and I trust they know what works and what doesnt.
You're trying to defend someone elses statement, when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Lets see.....rocker arm tip isn't main source of friction???? Exscuse me but thats why they put roller tips on many aftermarket ones. Cuz it IS a major source of friction. Second off, we all know Allan and Jason know what they're talking about. We've been around the board(and LS1's) long enough to realize that. But since you're obviously an expert on who knows what, I won't argue with you, oh wise one. Allan and Jason have setups that work for them, and they suggest stock rocker arms for whatever reason, but if the stockers were so great, why do people still swap them out? I wonder.

Spend more then two months on this board, and realize that not everyone just blindly accepts shop owners word as gospel. Allan definitely knows his ****, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run the stock rocker arms cuz he said to. He's not going to be replacing and paying for new parts if mine fail. Quit talking out of your ***. Its embarresing to see people do that.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boy is this guy a piece of work or what? My motor is a daily driver 92 octane 383..built it myself..didnt have them do it for me...if theirs didnt put down more power that would be embarrassing. Just as stated above...you have no idea what you are talking about and you are blindly following the preference of one or two vendors that have had "success" with stock rockers...and of course use them because all aftermarket rockers cause them to lose power and have a higher failure rate..on engines they build. If they are running a radical cam like mine and spinning the motor to 7000rpms and driving it daily ...then it is luck. You can go ahead and use the stock rockers in your turd...the vast majority of us here that care about our motors will use aftermarket rockers. Im not going to do something because someone says that is what they do...im going to research it and do it right.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

aftermarket rockers are fine for stock to moderatly higher rpm range. jason uses (if i am not mistaken) stock rockers because he revs so high. the added weight of the roller changes the ballance of the valvetrain or something like that. Ask him and get a better reason why he uses stock rockers. I know one thing, he does not care if he blows a motor due to a rocker it would just be an excuse to change the setup
Old 09-20-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WinMan
aftermarket rockers are fine for stock to moderatly higher rpm range. jason uses (if i am not mistaken) stock rockers because he revs so high. the added weight of the roller changes the ballance of the valvetrain or something like that. Ask him and get a better reason why he uses stock rockers. I know one thing, he does not care if he blows a motor due to a rocker it would just be an excuse to change the setup
I know another thing. You bought harland sharps for your car, and after listening to the opinions of some very qualified people, sold them on ebay a week later.