Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install

Old 09-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install

I am planning on doing a TR224 .563/.563 112 cam install. I am about to start buying all parts needed. Not sure exactly what I need, tell me if I am right or missing anything.
-TR224 cam
-918 comp valve springs(DUAL or single?)
-7.400 push rods
-LS-6 oil pump
-single or double timing chain?

Am I missing anything, do I have the right combo, anyone have better sugestions?
Old 09-16-2004, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

check this out:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 09-16-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just go to thunder racing and buy one of their camshaft packages. Cant go wrong and comes with everything you need.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

It just so happens I have some longer crank bolts and washers that I'm selling...

There is another cool pulley installation tool being sold here on the site.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, with the TR224 I would go with the 918s and titanium retainers. For the chain, anything is better than stock, but many get a dual.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a good valvespring tool. i was using an old school tool, like hook it to the bottom and turn the *** on top to compress the spring. worked ok, until i got to the back cylinders. it was a real bitch, and i have the scars to prove it. i ended up having to make one, and risked breaking a bolt off in the head, and the valvesprings alone with that method probably took me about 7-9 hours. definitely would not do that again. i hear good things about the more tool, so i would check it out. may be expensive, but it will be worth it. and i can almost garauntee you will want to go bigger later, so it cant be bad to have around
Old 09-17-2004, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
get a good valvespring tool. i was using an old school tool, like hook it to the bottom and turn the *** on top to compress the spring. worked ok, until i got to the back cylinders. it was a real bitch, and i have the scars to prove it. i ended up having to make one, and risked breaking a bolt off in the head, and the valvesprings alone with that method probably took me about 7-9 hours. definitely would not do that again. i hear good things about the more tool, so i would check it out. may be expensive, but it will be worth it. and i can almost garauntee you will want to go bigger later, so it cant be bad to have around

You are so right G. O. T. I have the tr224 also it's been in for a few months and I already wish I went bigger.

Mike
Old 09-17-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ill tell ya, im pretty damn happy with my f13. havent had a chance to go to the track yet though. i just wish i had some heads!!
Old 09-17-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

ill tell ya, im pretty damn happy with my f13. havent had a chance to go to the track yet though. i just wish i had some heads!!
most people who have that cam are pretty happy allan has some kickass cams, thats for sure. for my first cam swap i'll be throwin in a 231/237. not huge but not small. to spend all that money on a 224, when i know i'll have the itch for more, there's no point. i'm just making a leap from stock cam to large cam.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:58 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isnt it amazing how long springs take a shitty tool. i think i beat your 9 hours installing my old Rev Duals with the shitty 10$ cut off autozone tool. neverafuckinggain will i use that. bought the SDPC tool, works great on all but the last two cyl. from what i here the MORE tool isnt worth it. the Larry tool, crane, and Vinci spring tools seem to be where its at. or just be like me and buy a new pair of ported heads with the springs already installed

i agree with freakynipples69, just buy a complete cam install package from TR or TSP. its cheaper and easier then trying to piece by piece your setup. as far as chain goes a JWIS single would be fine. i went with the rollmaster double myself.

oh ya, buy some extra locks as well. that way you dont spend over an hour in the dark looking around the ground and engine bay after a lock flies up into the air . i found mine weeks later by dumb luck on top of the k-member under the PS rack :umm:
Old 09-17-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a few pen magnets wouldnt hurt either, even if you dont plan on using them on the lifters. helps to get the old locks off and if you drop anything it will help save your back. you wont be bending down so much. and the last thing i can think of is some mechanix gloves. worth every penny
Old 09-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

What are the specs of the F13 cam and who makes and sells it?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if i can remember right, (its been a while since i posted the specs) they are 230/232 .595/.585. mine is on a 112 lsa but you can get them with a 114. Futral motorsports, one of our sponsers >>, is where to find these bad boys at. if you decide on the F13 i would recommend some dual springs. comp 921, patriot golds, or crane duals are what i would go with. i went with the patriot, and maybe jrp or someone can chime in about it, but a lot of places quit carrying there stuff, i dont know if it has anything to do with the springs though. good luck in whatever you decide

Search this Thread