Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have nasty ticking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still have nasty ticking noise...

...and it's not the pushrods because I checked them last weekend and they were all straight. Ticks all the time, doesn't matter if the motor is warm or cold. I'm beginning to think that it is an exhaust leak because it gets louder with the rpms and I can hear it best when I am laying on the ground looking underneath the car. It's LOUD when I get down on the ground and listen. It sounds like air is escaping and sounds like it is coming from the bottom of the motor.

So what do you guys think? Exhaust leak or what? I'm going to take it to the shop that did my headers and ask them to listen to it and see what they think it is. All I know is that this noise is bugging the hell out of me
Old 09-22-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

If you recently had an exhaust change of any sort and it started right/soon after I would agree that was the most likely cause. If it increases with rpm I would bet that is the cause. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

I have a very similar noise, however mine didn't start until after I was forced off the road by an oncoming car and I hit a curbing. Trashed 2 wheels and tires and a bunch of suspension stuff. Got the car back last night and noticed the ticking right away. Didn't have it before the accident. Its loud when I lay down on the ground but its also very loud when I open the hood. My 1st thought is that Something got tweaked on impact and it created an exhaust leak but I can't find anything. DustinWS6: I know how you feel, its annoying as hell, especially where it wasn't there before!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

I'm just going to take it back to the shop that did my exhaust and get them to try to fix it. It started AFTER they did my exhaust so I think they would check it out for me