Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missed 1st shift in 4 years - louder ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Missed 1st shift in 4 years - louder ticking

Didn't have the elbow in the right position and I shifted 2-1 last week at high RPM's I've got Wiseco pistons with valve reliefs (clayed heads and the valves would've hit the stock pistons), hardened pushrods, stock lifters, oil pressure is behaving normally, no SES's.

Before the mis-shift, I was getting a ticking sound out of the driver side wheelwell and/or under the driver seat area - but not the passenger side. It would increase in velocity with the RPM's before being lost in the other sewing machine sounds. One guy thought it might be a faulty catalytic whose contents had rattled loose and was causing the problem to echo inside the tubing. Another thought it sounded normal.

The car now seems to have a slightly rougher idle sometimes and the ticking on the driver side seems to be more pronounced. I can be sitting at a light and out of the blue there will be a low frequency vibration which will start and end. The car doesn't seem to be down on power, but I'm taking it to Norris next Tuesday and see if we can isolate the noise and/or make some dyno pulls.

I guess my question is what is the likelihood of damage (and what type) with the aftermarket pistons? What should I check for peace of mind? Never been completely happy with how much louder this block is than stock. I'd like to finish the suspension and brakes before I spend big money on more displacement.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have never heard of anyone going 2-1
it is really hard to do that you must have been shifting really hard and pushed left on the stick hard

well if it is anything you bent some pushrods which is no big thing
to check take them out and roll on a mirror and if the jump in anyway you need new ones but its unlikely with hardened rods

you probably ahve an exhust leak
Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm pretty sure it was 2-1. I guess it doesn't matter which gear I missed, but I know I missed one based upon the rear-end locked up and everything got jostled around in the cabin.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont miss shifts the much either but the one time i did the 3-2 shift on full accel it did the same thing but i pushed the cluch in right away and no damage

you might be fine
Old 09-25-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told to leave my stock pushrods in instead of getting hardened ones b/c if you miss a gear then you would just bend a pushrod instead haveing some major internal damage. So I hope you bent a pushrod but since you have hardened ones then it could be more. Hopefully is just a pushrod though. Just thought I would let you know.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be bent valves, hardened p-rods are unlikely to bend. Just keep listening with a screwdriver to your ear. Tough call. That is why I love my A4.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'Formula
I was told to leave my stock pushrods in instead of getting hardened ones b/c if you miss a gear then you would just bend a pushrod instead haveing some major internal damage.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5432LT1
With the lift on some cams and dual springs, you would spend more time changing p-rods than anything else. That is usually M6 problem area as most M6 drivers get too excited and can't help but over doing it.