Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake ports - oil sludge caked!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake ports - oil sludge caked!

About 1.5 years ago I did a head and cam job with LT headers. The car ran rich for about two months and then I tuned it with Edit.

I blew a cam sensor recently so I took off the intake manifold. The intake ports are really caked with a thick oil-like sludge - almost tar-like.

I have a LS6 valley cover and a PVC oil catch can and flutter header tube block-off plates and it appears from the catch can that the PVC is not sucking in any crankcase oil into the intake.

Question - where is this oil sludge comming from? If the catch can and Edit tune were done a few months after the initial heads and cam could the rich condition or PVC problem from more than a year ago still result in tar-like intake ports today?

I will clean the ports out the brake cleaner and leave the intake as-is; Is this right? I suppose I could use "GM Top Cleaner" to remove any tar from the intake???

Thanks...
Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same PCV setup, catch can, etc and have the same thing. Exactly as you describe.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

Could it be incorrect PVC setup? If you utilize a standard catch can you should be able to catch lots of particles, but that kind of sludge you describe seems to be too much. Just a thought,
Old 09-29-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

lots of sludge - real thick too.

Quick Reply: Intake ports - oil sludge caked!