Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock engine burning oil at 12K miles, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock engine burning oil at 12K miles, wtf?

My car is a 2002 with only around 12K miles and i just noticed that I'm seriously burning oil. my guess is about 3 quarts per 3k miles this is what im guessing since the oil on the dipstick is only about half way to the "optimum" line (or whatever it says)

i didnt put any oil in cuz im due for an oil change anyways, and im gonna take it to the dealer to see what they have to say.

speaking of which, the car is still under warranty until may 05 (i think!), and the engine is 100% stock, save for a lid and a catback.

if i need a new engine or some otherwise expensive parts, the dealer isnt gonna try and screw me on this to save money, are they? what should i do?

thanks guys
Old 10-03-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

latest GM specs say its normal to burn 1 quart to 1000 miles. halfway up the dipstick is only only 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart low so don't worry about it. if you was 3 quarts low your oil pressure gauge would go to 0 and the check gauges light would come on.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
latest GM specs say its normal to burn 1 quart to 1000 miles. halfway up the dipstick is only only 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart low so don't worry about it. if you was 3 quarts low your oil pressure gauge would go to 0 and the check gauges light would come on.
my "low oil" light has been on and off for about a month now. this is about when i realized that i could be burning oil (cuz i knew i wasnt leaking) and decided to check the dipstick.

how can it be officially normal to be burning a quart of oil per 1000 miles? sounds like GM is trying to justify their engines drinking oil
Old 10-03-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

low tension rings and a poor pcv system cause ls1 motors to drink oil more than previous small blocks. low tension rings make more power get better gas mileage and have less friction but allow more oil past. what oil are you running? and for gods sake put some oil in it when its low or you'll lose your warranty if it gets documented that your not keeping it full. had a guy come in a few weeks ago complaining that oil pressure was dropping to 0 on a truck with 7200 miles on it, come to find out he hadn't changed the oil or even popped the hood since the day he bought it and when we told him that he needed to change the oil every once in a while and check the level once in awhile his response was "well thats stupid I don't understand why" our service manager said well you do what you want but if you blow the motor it won't be on GM since we have this entered into the GM system now.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Mine has got almost 25K miles on it, and my oil consumption has decreased to the point that when I did my oil change today my car has only burned( or I should have said used) 3/4 quart of oil. It used to use alot more than that when the miles were lower.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Do a search on oil consumption. Higher RPM, low load operation makes them float the rings more and use more oil.