Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Emissions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passing Emissions...

Hey guys, i'm wandering if i have any hope in passing emissions with long tube headers w/r ORY and a g5x2 cam. The place I plan on going to doesn't do a visual inspection. Is there anyway my car would pass. If not is there anyway to make it pass? Thanx
Old 10-04-2004, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life
Hey guys, i'm wandering if i have any hope in passing emissions with long tube headers w/r ORY and a g5x2 cam. The place I plan on going to doesn't do a visual inspection. Is there anyway my car would pass. If not is there anyway to make it pass? Thanx

What are the specs on that cam?...and i asked around this same question for a month or two. Tuning, if you have a chance at all its always gonna be tuning that gets you the pass.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you show up for the smog inspection, the attendant is most likely going to go like this =

G5X2 will not pass smog inspection. If in Oregon they only check for codes, then you should be good to go, otherwise
Old 10-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Tons of the states have abandoned the IM 240 style "tail pipe sample" emissions test, and now use the OBDII, "no codes stored, you pass" style test. Check with your local testing station and see which they use. Also, you should know, OUT OF STATE EMISSIONS TESTS ARE ACCEPTED BY THE BMV. i.e., if your local testing station uses the tail pipe test you KNOW you'll fail, but you can drive 20 minutes across state lines to a facility that does the OBDII test, you can take that emissions certification to your local BMV and get your tags with no hassle.

As far as the "visual inspection" is concerned, you have an issue with no cats. Best advice: buddy up with a tester there who is a car guy, buy him a couple beers and make sure you go through his lane on his shift.. That has always worked for me, and I stuff a cam in everything I buy short of the lawn mower.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

When you show up for the smog inspection, the attendant is most likely going to go like this =
That's what they did when I showed up with my Cartek 3X cam which is a bit larger than a G5X2 and it passed!