Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam removal

I need help fast. Im trying to remove my cam but I can only get it about a half inch out and then it stops. I twist it and tug a lttle but it wont move, any advise?

EDIT: I even took the lifters out completely cuz I thought it was them hitting the cam, but that doest work either...
Old 10-05-2004, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

you do have the cam plate off right? hope you already had the heads off cuz pullin the heads just to pull the lifters out to do a cam would be a major PITA, other than the cam plate i would have no clue, give it a slight jerk
Old 10-05-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, a fellow Wormtowner!

I had the same problem but I always thought it was a lifter. I had pen magnets in all 16 pushrod holes and I just manipulated the magnets trying to pull up the lifters and eventually the cam came out, but maybe it wasn't a lifter blocking my cam from coming out, afterall, since you said you removed your lifters, and like you my cam would only move about an inch (although I can't imagine what else it could have been besides a lifter).

I don't know man, maybe you could try sticking your pushrods in the holes to see if they're clear. I thought I had your solution until you said that you removed your lifters. This is truly mysterious. Hang in there though, I'm sure you'll find a solution.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, to amswer the eads question, yes I am already changing the heads and, in short, I am a moron.

I didnt have the plate off...

thanks anyways
Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

damn im phsycic(sp?)
Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eight Ball WS6
well, to amswer the eads question, yes I am already changing the heads and, in short, I am a moron.

thanks anyways
LOL good one. I think some of have done something along these lines one time or another.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eight Ball WS6

thanks anyways
I was wondering that, but I thought "no way, he must have just left a lifter or something"
Old 10-06-2004, 03:00 AM
FormerVendor

i know someone who said they stuck the cam in backwards once.....top that
Old 10-06-2004, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by term
I was wondering that, but I thought "no way, he must have just left a lifter or something"
I had thought Kurtomac was nuts for saying the cam plate cause you can't miss it, or so I thought. There is nothing else but the lifters or cam plate that would prevent the cam from coming out.

This reminds me of when I yanked and pulled and struggled to get the rear brake rotors off, with no luck. I posted here for some help, and Nineball informed me that I probably had my emergency brake engaged. Talk about embarrassment.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Predator
I had thought Kurtomac was nuts for saying the cam plate cause you can't miss it, or so I thought. There is nothing else but the lifters or cam plate that would prevent the cam from coming out.

This reminds me of when I yanked and pulled and struggled to get the rear brake rotors off, with no luck. I posted here for some help, and Nineball informed me that I probably had my emergency brake engaged. Talk about embarrassment.
well, I do have an excuse...KINDA

it was about 7 pm and I dont have a light so...it was dark...yeah...thats it

(you all see what I have written in my sig...right?)