Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plans for Heads, Valve Springs, Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plans for Heads, Valve Springs, Lifters

After speaking with Nate at Nasty Performance I don't think switching back to stock rocker arms would be an optimal solution so here is my plan.

I will be purchasing a set of new lifters, they will either be the stock comp cams replacements or the comp r's. What advantage do the comp r lifters offer over the regular lifters? Are there any other comparably priced lifters out there that offer better performance?

I will be doing a set of big valve springs as I already have titanium retainers for 1.4x valve springs (LS1Speed screwed up and sent me the wrong titanium retainers with my first cam). I know I will need to machine the pockets for the bigger springs. Where do I get spring seats and how much are they? Should I do new valve seals also and how much are they? What is the best dual spring in this size range (978s, 977s, 987s) or other brands besides comp are welcome.

I will be porting my heads (please do not try to talk me out of this, I have considered the process). I am pretty sure right now that I will be keeping my stock valves in the head as I have seen some good flow numbers come from my heads with stock valves from home porters. As I am not a professional porter would their be more then 5 horsepower seen additionaly by some 2.02/1.57 manley valves and a valve job?

I will be popping for a new cam quite possibly also. I'll just say that it will be bigger in lift duration and overlap.

These heads will probably remain on the motor until it is time to build a different motor. I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on them but want them to make a good difference.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

11.62 @ 117.98 60' 1.69 (e.t. streets)
11.98 @ 119.08 60' 1.98 (nittos)
New times to come with 4.56s and spool.