Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another cam decision thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question yet another cam decision thread

I've finally broken the 36,000 mile marker and since my warrenty is now "officially" gone it's time to play the cam swap game. I've been researching cams for quite a few months. But just recently I got a nitrous kit(venom vcn-2000 kit) for my car, I had never considered nitrous before but it was a gift and who am I to turn down a gift like this. I had planned on the using the Stealth II from MTI but that is a reverse split cam and from what I've read that is not going to do me any good on the gas. So now I've been looking into some nitrous friendly cams.
and now the dilemma...
I daily drive my car about 60 miles everyday (M-F) in stop and go rush hour traffic. I need a cam that is not going to be surging on me everytime I stop, I also need it to be AC friendly. I am planning on having it re-tuned with edit so tuning is not going to be an issue. Also I'm not going to be using the gas everyday (obviously) so I want the cam to be good NA too. I have a M6 with the stock rear end so I need it to have good low end torque. I'd also like to see close to 400rwhp NA. I have come up with possibly the FM7, what is the consensus on this cam fitting the bill for what I'm looking for. I've also thought about the FM5 and the FM6 all of the above cams on a 114 or maybe a custom grind on a 115 or 116?
Also I'm not stuck on the FMS cams it just seems that they are a board favorite and the customer service seems to be top notch. If anyone else can recommend another grind to consider that may match what I'm looking for please feel free to post it up.
Thanks guys
Old 10-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Teching In

I have the tsp 231/237 cam in my car, and although not my daily driver it wouldnt bother me a bit if I had too and mines an A4. From what I hear this cam loves the spray. I will soon find out for myself. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I just saw this cam on the LPE site what about it???
Comp Cams XER273HR (224-230 .581-.588 on a 114) looks pretty similar to the FM7 except it is a XER lobe (more aggressive)
Old 10-08-2004, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Anyone...
Old 10-08-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be a fairly good N.O. cam (the wide 114 LDA and the added duration on the exhaust)and good without the spray,the wide 114 lda will smooth the idle and make a better daily driver.I would still call Allan Futral and get a cam from them.The XE lobes might be a little noisy for you.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

any cam works well with a shot under 150. cams only really matter when you are spraying a shot higher then 150....then you need a higher exhaust duration to get rid of all that exhaust.....hence why 231/237 behaves so well on the sauce. also why Damian had such great results with the FM9 on his shot(which was more then 150 I do believe). Btw, drivability is all in the tune. If you get a good tune, you can drive a big cam all day long. Bigger gears will help you out too. FMS has some wicked cams out, F13 will make all the power you will want. Or you could go a little bigger and make gobs and gobs of power. Its all up to you. Call up there and talk to somebody about it. Candy I'm sure would love to help you out. TSP has some pretty damn good cams too. 231/237 or the MS3 could be what your lookin for. Call these shops up and talk to them for a little while about your goals and current mods. They will let you know what these cams can do for you and let you get a feel for what you can out of them. And read JRP's cam guide. You'll come out with a much better understand of how to choose cams.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know, none of the FMS cams have surge problems at all, I definitely dont think you'll need a 114LSA. I have an F11 and it drives like stock. I dont have surging problems at all. If you want power, you can get an F11 and still drive your car easily your 60 miles a day. I sit in traffic for roughly an hour and a half. Call allan and talk to him, he'll let you know what you need.

Search this Thread