Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what intake, heads, and cam to choose

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what intake, heads, and cam to choose

i just reciently bought a 01 ss and it is all stock right at the moment but i do have a good deal of aftermarket coming in the mail right as we speak. Anyway i have a cold air intake, 85mm throttle body, bellow, its going to be tuned on a dyno this weekend and i have jet-hot headers that lead to duals and a few other idems as well. Also i can tell you now i am deffently no expert on internals but i was wondering what intake and cam should i choose. I would like the best quality ones possible but i want them to be hardcore and badass. Just something that will gain a fair amount of horsepower and still not worrie about something going wrong. i hope you all get what i mean. basicially i don't want a huge *** cam considering i drive my car to school everyday. thanks for any responses gang
Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would leave the ls6 intake on it, because most people dont need the lsx intake because it really dosnt perform better until higher rpms/flow. As for a cam, I would suggest one in th 224 range. You should look into Texas Speed, and Thunder. They are two of the leading companies with great ls1 ground cams. TSP came out with a new 225 cam awhile back, and I think they seem to be performing pretty well. Just research the cams man. Find one you like, then come on here and search for it. But FYI...use the search feature for most information, because the simple questions have been asked a million times. If you cant find anything then post up. But good luck, and welcome.

Fry
Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i think that by definition, "hardcore and badass" and being reliable enough so that they ensure nothing will ever go wrong definitely do not belong in the same sentance. read JRP's cam guide, it will open your eyes to the world of camshafts. his newbie guide wouldn't be a bad idea either from the sound of it and search. search search and search some more. all the information you could ever need is out there on this board already. you just have to look a little.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
well i think that by definition, "hardcore and badass" and being reliable enough so that they ensure nothing will ever go wrong definitely do not belong in the same sentance. read JRP's cam guide, it will open your eyes to the world of camshafts. his newbie guide wouldn't be a bad idea either from the sound of it and search. search search and search some more. all the information you could ever need is out there on this board already. you just have to look a little.
ha man i am soo sorry, i ment that i didn't want them to be so hardcore...thats why i probably didn't get any responses. OK well basicially my camaro will be making around 375-390 horsepower and i would like just a cam and intake that will go good with that match. Or basicially what you guys would buy if you were me. But my point was is that i don't want a huge *** cam as if tho it was a drag car. I just want something that will add an averarage gain of horsepower. Also i got a response that i shouldnt change my intake but i was soo looking forward to it. Would it be worth the money or is the guy right? thanks gang..sorry about the mistake
Old 10-13-2004, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

You will only see a very minimum increase from changing the intake from the LS6 to the lsx intake. Not really worth the extra money for the minimal gain IMHO.

A few good cam choices for you to search on would be maybe the MTI stealth II, MTI C2, TSP 224R, TSP 225, FMS F2, FMS F4 or FMS F5 just as a start. All of these cams are very similar in size and power (all will put you in the 375-400 hp range) and they all have their pluses and minuses. You just need to search and decide which has the most pluses and the least minuses for your specific needs/wants.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have a 6 speed or an automatic?if you have an auto trans then you will need a higher stall converter to go with a bigger cam.like the above posts say,i would stay in the 224 dur. range,and a good set of dual valve springs and heavy duty pushrods to go with it.and keep your intake,the gains from an LSX intake don't justify the cost unless your going all out on the motor. this combined with your current mods should give you a stout and reliable car.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Intake: keeps yours because it's LS6 intake
Heads: u have many choices which are MTI or patriot or LS6,
Cam: I prefer TSP