Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me this isn't bad :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please tell me this isn't bad :(

I noticed this before, when I first unwrapped my block, after getting it back from the machine shop but thought nothing of it. I started looking closer at it last night as I am about to assemble the block. It appears as if the sleeve is separating from the casting, although I could be wrong. The block was hot tanked and tested for cracks (sonic and magnaflux IIRC). All machining was done using an LS1 plate/fixture. The machining and all related work cost me $1350, so I believe they did do their job in checking out the block.

Anyway, the worst of this "separation" appears to be towards the rear cylinders and towards the "outer" walls. Number 1 & 2 appear fine. The engine had a spun #6 (IIRC) rod bearing originally, which is why I opted to go the stroker route.

Here are the pics, has anyone seen anything like this on any of their blocks? Should I be worried? Can coolant get past the head gaskets?
Attached Thumbnails Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl8-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl8-inner.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl7-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl7-inner.jpg  
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are cylinders 6 & 5:
Attached Thumbnails Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl6-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl6-inner.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl5-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl5-inner.jpg  
Old 10-13-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are cyl 4 & 3
Attached Thumbnails Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl4-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl4-inner.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl3-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl3-inner.jpg  
Old 10-13-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

And, lastly, here are cylinders 1 & 2. Notice how these appear normal compared to the others?
Attached Thumbnails Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl2-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl2-inner.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl1-outer.jpg   Please tell me this isn't bad :(-cyl1-inner.jpg  
Old 10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know, but i cant imangine that is normal, it sure would freak me out as it aparently has you.

good luck with it all
ed
Old 10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea theres definitely some seperation there, mostly on the outside of the block. i'm no expert on sleeves but i don't see how that could be a good thing. ttt for some answers for ya.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is actually pretty common from the blocks that I have seen...
Old 10-13-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't remember seeing this when I received the shortblock. I definatley remember seeing it when it returned from the machine shop, but I didn't "really" look at it good until recently as I've had a wrist which was broken in four places and couldn't really do much in the garage. The more I look at it, the more it bugs me. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen it.

David
Old 10-13-2004, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xssive
That is actually pretty common from the blocks that I have seen...
REALLY? You have actually seen this in good blocks? That would be so good to know. I was about to call the machine shop and give them a mouthful. I hope I dont have to as it sucks, the work was done back in June/July and has been sitting in the garage in a black plastic trash bag the whole time since I was out of commision and I'm not sure if they would even do anything about it after all of this time. It would also suck as I have already done a lot of work and it is ready to assemble.

D
Old 10-13-2004, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better safe than sorry no? Call them and verify, and shoot, they should be able to help even if they did do the work 3-4 months ago. Especially for $1350.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well logically you would think with the cylinders being one metal and the block being another, there would be some gap to allow for the different rates of expansion and contraction. It will probably close once the motor runs. But this isnt a for sure answer just a stab...definatly give them a call and make sure that they didnt do crappy work.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a normal thing with factory sleeve/block. The sleeve does not have a press fit like replacement sleeves and will hold a head gasket as well as any aluminum block.

Kurt
Old 10-13-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I will call them tomorrow. You can't stick a feeler gauge in there, so the separation isn't deep. I was thinking the same about the different metals expanding when heated (I was hoping that it doesn't open more when warmed up ) The weird thing is why aren't cylinders 1 & 2 like the others?

David
Old 10-13-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The block is fine. Listen to Kurt, he knows what he is talking about (seeing as he builds 1300+ hp ls1's everyday)
Old 10-13-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I would listen to the sponsors. Besides, what do you expect the machine shop to tell you? Oh yeah, we messed up on your block. Bring it back and we will get you another one? Even if it was a problem they would pass it off as normal, not wanting to eat the cost of a mistake.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Lostpatrolman
I agree, I would listen to the sponsors. Besides, what do you expect the machine shop to tell you? Oh yeah, we messed up on your block. Bring it back and we will get you another one? Even if it was a problem they would pass it off as normal, not wanting to eat the cost of a mistake.

Exactly. Yup, that's what I wanted to confirm...people that build theseeveryday. I figured if it was normal SOMEONE would have seen one like this. Thanks guys. Now I can get back on putting that bad boy together!

David
Old 10-14-2004, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

If the gaps are all on the outer edge it may be that when the block was machined the edge that was trailed over (as opposed to the edge that was milled head on) has broken away slightly. I think this often happens with more brittle materials. But as to the frequency of this type of thing take the above advice from folks that are more familiar with this work.
Good luck.