Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette vs. Fbody ??? Used Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette vs. Fbody ??? Used Search

Well guys i tried finding some info using hte search but dint have very good luck. Iv been looking at either a 2002 z28 or a 2000 vette. Ive foundhtat the insurance isnt much different and the vette is about 10k more. However, i figure in that beefing up the fbody(shocks,springs,subframes,12bolt,labor) will kinda make upa little difference but i will have a vette! My question is if get the vette i want to do a heads,cam,nitrous deal on it. Prolly TEA Stage 2 heads, tr220-224cam, and a 100 dry shot. Was wondering if the vette fuel system is made better then the fbodies. Injectors arnt a big deal but the fuel pump is. Could i safely run these mods without problems. Or should i go with the z upgrade the rear and frame and do injector and pump? I like hte vettes weight, handling, and aerdynamics though jsut dont know if its worth the extra ???Also what is the difference between a heads/cam c5 and a z06. What other features make it more unique?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get an '01 or '02 for fuel (either F-bod or Vette).
You may want to tune for a wet kit with a heads/cam setup.

dig racing: advantage F-bod (live axle).
roll racing: advantage Vette (apples for apples-power comparo).
road racing: advantage Vette

Depends what you want it for.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

so the vette has the same fuel system as the body. Looking more to running nitro daves halo kit instead of a wet kit. Ive read some of predatorz's posts and he has swayed me to the dry side I have made up my mind that ill prolly be going fbody because im not really a road-coarse racer. I would still like to know what advantages a z06 would have over a heads/cam c5. Are they the same car with differnt heads/cam or is it more extensive?

Also some weight mods for a z28. I read Coloniels list but its way over kill for me. Just want some simple weight saving mods. EX. Move battery(weight displacement to rear, aftermarket ss hood(does it acutally weigh any less?)Basically mods that dont hurt the look of the car or the feel of it.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

SS hood is a waste- just open up the free ram air mod and add a Fast Toys or Super Sucker piece (if even).

Z06 is lighter than a stock C5. Will handle better than a stock C5, though a stock C5 can be made to handle better than a stock Z06.

If you're going heads and cam on the C5 Vette, you're basically outmodding the stock ls6 heads and cam of the Z06.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a z06 basically has a larger cam and better heads than a c5 and has a few suspension things here and there...along with different wheels and tires and a few other cosmetic upgrades ie. brake scoops or whatever they are called on the side near the rear tire..if you are going to mod your car (vette) i would opt not to get a z06 unless you just like the way they look better...you will end up outmodding the z06 and spend less money doing so

Last edited by 777; 10-15-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The ls6 head castings in the z06 are superior in design than the ls1 head. They flow better stock, and the flow very, very well when ported (Stage 2.5 ls6 heads continue to put down some of the best numbers).

But, as said earlier, a stage II 5.3, 5.7, or 6.0L head and a 224 cam will out-perform the stock z06 cam and heads.

One can also purchase stage 2.5 ls6 heads and put them on an F-bod or C5. It's done all the time.

Now we have AFR heads as another option.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Well he can just get a 01-02 Fbody, FreeMods + some minor BoltOns(headers,lid,ORY) and Catback or Cut out w/ good Cam and out proform a Z06
Old 10-15-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Get an '01 or '02 for fuel (either F-bod or Vette).
You may want to tune for a wet kit with a heads/cam setup.

dig racing: advantage F-bod (live axle).
roll racing: advantage Vette (apples for apples-power comparo).
road racing: advantage Vette

Depends what you want it for.
Please define "dig racing"
I assume it means from a stop to a certain speed.

And what exactly is a "live axle" and why would an f-bod have a better axle than a vette?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Well he can just get a 01-02 Fbody, FreeMods + some minor BoltOns(headers,lid,ORY) and Catback or Cut out w/ good Cam and out proform a Z06
Going straight.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

IRS rears like the Vette are not that great for out of the Hole racing (some guys do great) But the Fbody with its fixed rearend plants the rear tires better on takeoff.

Last edited by Ravenous T\A; 10-15-2004 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:34 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by derek_silvy
Please define "dig racing"
I assume it means from a stop to a certain speed.

And what exactly is a "live axle" and why would an f-bod have a better axle than a vette?

Your assumption is correct.

The IRS of the Vette is prone to wheel hop off the line.

The "benefit" of the 10 bolt live axle setup of the F-bod for clean launches is a flawed benefit, as the 10 bolt is weak and needs to be upgraded to a 12 bolt or 9inch once a certain power threshold is surpassed. One can technically launch on a 10 bolt with 450rwhp and slicks, but the chances of it holding up to that for very long are slim.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:42 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Oh, I forgot.

Ho appeal: advantage Vette
Old 10-15-2004, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

So a 2001 Vette will have the same fuel system as the F-Body? What makes the z06 lighter then the C5(hardtop,6speed)?

As far as the Z goes, an aftermarket ss hood would weight no less then the stock z28 hood? WHat minor weight saving mods could i do. Keeping in mind i would like to keep my back seats? I have heard of k-members but then again i have hard of problems with them. Just wanting to try to see how to shave a little weight.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I know a Z06 has a Lighten windshield glass, titanuim exhaust no power antenna. Most likely some other stuff but im not sure, oh yea No run flats, those tires are heavy so the Z06 comes with Goodyear Supercar tires
Old 10-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

If your just planning on drag racing at the track, get the F-Bod.. Parts like headers, etc.. are considerably cheaper (my longtubes w/ high flow cats were $1800). And the motors will make the same amount of power except probably cost you a little less.

However... *insert vette sales pitch here* dont worry about the difference on rear ends for racing from a dig. The Vette is lighter, has superior weight distrubition, and a lower cg. Ive got 1.8 60's on street tires in mine. If you want to do anytime of spirited driving with turns, the vette is gonna be superior (by a pretty good margin) to the Fbod. As one stated earlier, chick/head turn factor is in the Vettes favor.

Really I think of it this way... The FBod is a good musclecar. The Vette is a good sports car. If you want to go fast in a straight line, either one will do it. The FBod is designed for good striaghtline performance (dont get me wrong, it can still turn, its just not in the same league as the Vette). The Vette is designed for this, but coupled with stopping/turning. So play to the cars strengths.

As for the Vette/z06. If your doing heads/cam go with AFR heads and it doesnt matter which you use. Go with a FAST intake and it doesnt matter what model it is (Although the 2000+ have the ls6 intake). The z has a better air box, but if your doing heads/cam and leave the stock airbox on, you need to be shot anyway. The MAF on the z06 is better. No screen, better sensor, and flows more. This isnt that expensive anyway. The z has a titanium exhaust that flows pretty dam good (I swapped an aftermarket exhaust to put this on mine) and it weighs significantly less. The windshield in the z is actually thinner, and weighs less. Too exensive to swap IMO for the 12 lbs or whatever. So your in a hole there. The z's body style is about 90 lbs less to start with then the coupes. You can buy a 99/2000 Fixed Roof Coupe (See sig... Same bodystyle as the z, but no rear brake ducts, screens over air inlets, and withouth the above mentioned engine componets) or just take the extra 90 lbs. So the bulk of the 150 lbs comes from the exhaust/windshield/bodystyle. Mine probably weighs 15-20 lbs less then a z. Now the z also has the MN12 tranny (the rest of the vettes and fbod's have the MN6). All of the gear ratios are shorter (except 4th) then the regular vettes. If your planning on putting gears in your car though, just go one numerical set higher, and your pretty dam close to on it. But this tranny and clutch are better then the mn6 (the master and slave are better too, when you upgrade to most of the aftermarket clutches, they require the z06 master/slave to be upgraded as well). The springs are about the same as the z51 (option code for the upgraded vette suspension) springs. The sway bars are larger then the z51 so it does handle a little better. Thats about it.. So if you wanna upgrade:

Heads
Cam
Clutch (w/ master/slave)
sway bars
gears
intake
air box

You can have a car that outperforms a z in every aspect. Mind you, this is stuff alot of us change anyway. You just wont have the little fender badge (or the insurance cost) and the rear brake ducts (but hell, you can buy those too). So if you plan on doing all of this stuff, there really isnt a great need to buy the z. I think that covered anything, if you wanna know anything else, just holler.

Kap
Old 10-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Bah... I forgot the tires, but someone else got that anyway... Instead of the EMT (extended mobility tire, aka runflats or runcraps) it has eagle f1 supercar tires. Everyone ditches the runcraps anyway.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies. I been having a hard time finding the z28/trans am i want(color,interior, NO T-TOPS!).

Just rode in the girl friends dads vette(bone stock) and i was real impressed. So im still having the dilemma of what to buy. I want the vette but with all the modifing i want to do(cam/heads/100shotNXdry) i know the fbody will be cheaper even after the 12bolt, subframes, and other suspension upgrades. Does anyone know how much more shops cost to install vette upgrades over f-bodys?

I been looking at a 2000 z28 slp package. It has leather and t-tops(it seems like they all do!!! and that goes for all z28s or tas) Was wondering what the vehicle weight with me would be around roughly(me weight 185). I want to do some weight saving mods to it but how much of a disadvantage would i be against a c5? Plus, with all the new cars coming out c6, 04 cobras making 500rwhp, and even the new z07 when it comes out how do u think a heads/cam/bolton/100 shot nitrous camaro will stack up. Alot of questions i know, i been searching and see all different kinds of opinions.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:30 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Weight advantage goes to the Vette especially the Z06. If you want to race, get and FRC (the predecessor to the Z06) or, if you don't have built motor already. Get a 2002 and later Z06.

My car weighs 3021-3050 depending on fuel without me in it (I weigh 185) so, my raceweight is 3250 or so. That with the stock exhaust etc... You can get a Z06 with headers, etc... down to around 3175 with driver.

Keep in mind it has good heads (LS6) so you don't need a core

M12 tranny gives a deep 1st and 2nd

Shootpeened ring & pinion.

My car went 11.60's with just the lid off the stock airbox, and makes about 372rwhp. I have run some bolt on & H/C cars and done very well against them in a basically a bone stock car.

But, I'm partial to the FRC myself. I prefer it over the coupe. Also, when you drive a Z06, and come back to a coupe you can really feel the difference in the two cars.