Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5X3 daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G5X3 daily driver?

I want to go the turbo route, since they make for great daily driver cars and produce insane amount of power. Well I've always thought of doing a cam, and I love the sound of one, but worried about it being daily driven. I've been doing a lot of searching on the G5X3 cam and I like the results people are getting, 400+rwhp cam only! I wish LG would tell us the duration of the cam, I don't know how they expect people to buy there stuff if the specs aren't listed, you have no idea what your getting! Well when I do a cam swap, it will be cam only, no heads, and on a budget, if thats possible! It will be on a 114lsa, I heard that there is no clearancing needed, I won't be milling my heads either, so I should be ok right? Also, what kind of driveability and gas mileage are you guys getting? I will deffinitely get it tuned, I don't know of any good tuners around here, but im willing to take a decent drive to find one and I expect to put down around 500+/- on just the tune. Also, what else will I have to do to put the cam in, new springs obviously, what else? Will the stock rockers be ok? I plan on getting long tubes with a catted ypipe and a restrictive cat back to try and quiet the cam down, but when it comes race time, Im going to have a cutout after each collector. Anything else you guys suggest? I don't want to have to do this twice, I want to make sure I get the right cam and everything else I need installed correctly so I won't have any problems later down the road, I want to hear from you guys that have already done this, thanks.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I have one and it is pretty mild for daily driving, I live in FT worth and on the weekends I go to dallas sometimes (45-1hr) trip and dont have any problems with it even in traffic. I have the 114 LSA too, you might wanna ask in the forced induction section about this cam with a turbo, might not be that great for a turbo application. But remember you better upgrade your clutch, stock one wont last long
Old 10-25-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

I forgot to add in a new clutch, I was thinking of a ram or spec clutch, whichever I get a deal on. Thats good to hear that it can be tamed and be daily driven. What else do I need to do besides springs? Will the stock injectors/fuel pump be ok? I know my rear won't last, but thats way to expensive, im just looking to get by with the cam safely. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I am running patriots gold springs, also I have a RAM stage 1 (610 disk) with a aluminum flywheel and its doing very well so far, gonna upgrade later. I have a 98 so the fuel injectors are bigger but I think most people just run the factory ones with factory fuel pump, I do and it runs fine If you dont go with the Gold's make sure U get a DUAL spring with this cam, its huge
Old 10-25-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know the exact specs of that cam off the top of my head but for a turbo you would probably be better off with the stock cam. turbos dont like big N/A cams, instead they like very little overlap.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Oh I know this is not a turbo cam, I want to go the turbo route but its too expensive, so im going cam route, I know stock cams are one of the best cams for turbos. Im looking for a good street cam that makes huge power. I'll mostlikely end up getting the patriot gold springs and a ram clutch (910 maybe) since they are cheapier. So it looks like all I need is the cam, clutch, springs, timing chain set and is that it? Besides my exhaust? Thanks guys for the help, I can't wait to put this cam in, just a little more saving.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Might as well to the ported oil pump while you are in there for added insurance AAHHH peace of mind (thats what I did) That and the G5X3 loves the SPRAY from what I hear
Old 10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh yea, 91Vette check your PM's for some extra info I sent ya
Old 10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I forgot about the ported oil pump, thats pretty cheap too. So all I need is springs for the valvetrain, and don't I need harden pushrods and guide plates? Anything else? I'm more worried about having the correct valvetrain then anything else since the lift is so high on the big cam! Thanks again, oh and PM sent back! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will need hardened pushrods.. its another added insurance thing.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly 91Vette, don't do the swap yet if you can't afford it. Skimping on parts and trying to find deals is not the smartest idea when tearing into your engine. Just save up and buy quality, new parts and then swap. You'll also be able to do everything at once:
cam
springs
lifters
hardened pushrods
titanium retainers
clutch
rear end
tune

Plus you'll have some extra scratch just in case something goes wrong. There will always be unforeseen costs.
Good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Thats what I plan on doing, im just researching right now, but I don't plan on getting heads, they won't fit my budget, and thats not a must for doing a cam swap. I just need the necessities, are lifters a necessity? Or can I get by with the stockers? I know I'll need new springs, retainers, clutch, and pushrods. Rear is deffinitely not on my list, I don't plan on doing any 5-6k dumps on drag radials anytime soon. I probably won't do this swap for a few more months, im just getting ideas now. But what are you guys getting gas mileage wise? How many miles per tank etc? Thats a big issue with me and daily driving. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

There's another thread in the internals section right now titled something like "trex owners" that discusses gas mileage with some of the bigger cams. Check that out.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

I replied to that thread, but I think the trex is a little extreme, a lot more then the G5X3, especially the LSA's. The G5X3 deffinitely seems a bit more streetable, im just still wondering what people get MPG and MPT(miles per tank).
Old 10-25-2004, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

what rpm's do you have to spin the g5x3. over 6800? I would be real cautious about spinning my stock bottom end over that.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

does anyone have the specs on the g5x3? I know they try to keep it secret. Must mean they found something good
Old 10-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Well when I do a cam swap, it will be cam only, no heads, and on a budget, if thats possible! It will be on a 114lsa, I heard that there is no clearancing needed, I won't be milling my heads either, so I should be ok right? Also, what kind of driveability and gas mileage are you guys getting? I will deffinitely get it tuned, I don't know of any good tuners around here, but im willing to take a decent drive to find one and I expect to put down around 500+/- on just the tune.
did anyone else happen to see that 500, stock displacement, cam only, horsepower number

Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Teching In

I don't want to have to do this twice, I want to make sure I get the right cam and everything else I need installed correctly so I won't have any problems later down the road, I want to hear from you guys that have already done this, thanks
if youre going turn the engine above 6000 an arp rod bolt would also be a good idea
Old 10-25-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by car guy
did anyone else happen to see that 500, stock displacement, cam only, horsepower number
i should hope he was referring to cost.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Teching In

i c said the blind man,
lol

Quick Reply: G5X3 daily driver?