Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to work out all the coolant bubbles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to work out all the coolant bubbles?

Just finished installing my water temp. guage fitting in the bottom of the block and I lost a sizable volume of coolant (~1.5-2 qts.). I also emptied the radiator before hand and had to add that back in. My dad also added a little straight coolant (didn't realize it was concentrated) and then some distilled water. I would like to get some more distilled water in there but the radiator is full. Question is, how do I pressurize and work all the air out of the system? Do I just do a couple of heat cycles and watch the stock guage? (Still have to get the wiring of the Autometer done) Will I be able to get at least another quart of distilled in there? Thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Start the car and let it warm up with the radiator cap OFF. Make sure it is off so air pockets can get out. Also turn your heater on during this procedure. Once you get it running you should be able to add more to the system. If not just fill up the overflow if needed.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

It takes a while, but basically just follow Cstick's advice. It took us quite a while to get my coolant level back to normal after we did my cam swap.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Jacking the car up high in the front will help!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

also it helps to take of the hose going to the throttle body while filling the system cold. once you have a good flow of coolant out of the throttle body all air bubbles will be gone.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by H82BBad
also it helps to take of the hose going to the throttle body while filling the system cold. once you have a good flow of coolant out of the throttle body all air bubbles will be gone.
Exactly, I've just filled the radiator with the "bypass" hose off until coolant ran out of it, and never had a problem with bubbles.

Shawn
Old 10-26-2004, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by H82BBad
Thanks!! I'll try that tomorrow morning. I started up the car and let it warm up on ramps and there were no signs of overheat. Afterwards, I opened up the radiator and added a little more distilled water to balence the mixture of the concentrated stuff we added yersterday. I'll drive it to wrk tomorrow and bring some 50/50 mix just in case
Old 10-26-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLASTER
Thanks!! I'll try that tomorrow morning. I started up the car and let it warm up on ramps and there were no signs of overheat. Afterwards, I opened up the radiator and added a little more distilled water to balence the mixture of the concentrated stuff we added yersterday. I'll drive it to wrk tomorrow and bring some 50/50 mix just in case
Checkout www.installuniversity.com and look under their link for 160 thermostat install. They show how to get all the air outta the system.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Checkout www.installuniversity.com and look under their link for 160 thermostat install. They show how to get all the air outta the system.
Damn, I skimmed that twice already and didn't see it. I'll check again. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Ozz
Launching!

Well some of us cheat with an electric water pump or you can use the vac system, I have a buddy that has the Snap-on unit. You use a special cap and use air to suck down the system to a negitive pressure then turn off a valve and put a hose into the coolant and turn the valve back on and the system sucks in the coolant. The system works great.