Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally...decided on the T-Rex, what valvetrain, oil pump, timing chain...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally...decided on the T-Rex, what valvetrain, oil pump, timing chain...

and anything else that needs to be replaced? Also, I currently have the MTI C2 cam (224/.581/112) with the Manley springs, retainers, and chromoly hardened pushrods from MTI. What I was wanting to know is if I need to get new pushrods or can I use them with the T-Rex cam? On the timing chain, do I want a single or double and why? I really wanna put the best parts for this cam. I dont wanna skimp on anything, but then again I dont wanna spend an awful lot of money. Also, the only place Ive looked for the valvetrain is at Thunder Racing because thats where the cam is and the only dual springs that I ran into were in a kit and it was like $560! From the description, are the spring seats and valve stem seals necessary? Anyhow, I dont wanna settle for just any parts, but I also dont wanna spend tons of money. I dont mind paying for good products, but if I can buy a different product with the same quality for less, then thats what Im about. Thanks.

By the way, are rocker arms and lifters necessary for this cam? I plan on shifting around 6900-7000 rpms.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your current puhsrods, as long as they're straight, should be fine. I'd personally replace your oil pump with an LS6 ported pump, and while you can get away with a single timing chain, I'm going with a double for my F13. Which is a decent sized cam, but smaller then the T-Rex by a long shot. PRC double springs, and PP Gold springs would both work very well for this cam. You can find those through any number of sponsers including FMS, TSP, FFHP, Racetech, et cetera. Those spring sets run ~270-280. And yes, whatever they sell in those spring sets are necessary.

You won't want to run rocker arms on this cam, the extra weight over the tip will most likely cause valve float in the upper rpms(5500+), something that will not help your goal of 10's cam only. Lifters are up to you, but unless they show signs of undue wear or stress, stock should be fine. Many people running big cams on stock lifters.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would recommend the comp 921 springs...they are a little more pricey, but they will hold up to the abuse.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

good choice on the cam.I concur on what cyphur traq mentioned above.I run hardened pushrods,stock lifters and crane duals.using stock oil pmp. and chain since only 41k on the clock.not a daily driver though.dont forget raise that limiter to 7200.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ive seen ported LS6 oil pumps come up a lot, but Ive also seen a stock (non-ported) LS6 oil pump come up as well. Whats the difference? Is there any particular company that I should go through for a ported one? You say I can get away with a single chain...is that one of those things where I can get away with it, but run a risk or that I can get away with it, but a double would have less chance of failure? I dont mind buying a double one if thats what I need. If theres no need to spend the extra money there, then I wont. What are PRC double springs? Is that the name of a company? I assume the PP Gold are the Patriot Performance gold dual springs? Which is better of the 2 and how come theyre so much cheaper than the Comp kit? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Also, on the timing chain, wouldnt I want to get it adjustable because when I degree it and its off not because of the cam, but lets say the chain, sprockets, etc. and I need to make an adjustment I wont be able to do so with a stock chain or a stock replacement.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I was under the impression that t-rex needed clearanced pistons..."fly-cut"
Old 10-30-2004, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

I believe unmodified heads have no clearance issues.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:15 AM
I can shift faster than you.

A ported oil pump and upgraded timing set are good mods, but not 100% needed. Your 7.400" hardened pushrods will work just fine. I would recommend going with a set of the new Crane dual springs instead of your Manleys.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

jeremy want u just drag race and not talk and ask a million freaking questions on here,he never evan tuned your car at the track.U gotta go and work with it not run once and go home and change your whole setup
Old 10-31-2004, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

Jason99T/A: Is there a particular timing set and oil pump you'd recommend? The Manley springs Im running with my current cam is a single spring, so I know that I have to upgrade to a dual. If the Cranes, Comps, Patriot Golds, etc. are all rated for the same lift, how come there is so much difference in price? Is one better than the other?

MARKSZ71: Why are your comments/replies so negative bro? When you do take the time to reply, its always responses like this. The setup I was running wasnt going to get me where I wanted to be, so that is why Im changing it. Ive decided on a cam and Im looking for the right parts to go with it.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Jason99T/A: Is there a particular timing set and oil pump you'd recommend? The Manley springs Im running with my current cam is a single spring, so I know that I have to upgrade to a dual. If the Cranes, Comps, Patriot Golds, etc. are all rated for the same lift, how come there is so much difference in price? Is one better than the other?
I would recommend the Comp adjustable timing set and a TR ported oil pump. I have used both of these in the past on various setups with good luck.

The price on the valvesprings will vary depending on material, manufacturer, etc. All the springs you listed work well. I feel confident the Cranes would be the best choice out of the three. We have found these to do the best job of controling the TReX cam past 6600 rpms when setup properly.

Jason
Old 11-01-2004, 12:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

What all dual valve springs have you tried out on this cam? You were saying that the Cranes are the best and wanted to know how they differed from the others. There is such a big price increase from the Patriot Performance dual valve springs to the Crane and Comp.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:41 PM

I have tried three different valvesprings with the TReX cam on my car : Comp 921s, Comp 918s, and the Crane Duals. All three springs made the same "peak" hp #s, but the Crane duals did carry out past peak slightly better. When setup up properly, it is an excellent spring. We are only talking 5-6hp here, but it all adds up.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

I had no idea that springs made a difference in power on the dyno. How did you run the Comp 918s, arent they a single coil spring? What do you mean when set up properly? Youve mentioned twice now, is there a right and wrong way to set them up?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

How do you "set up" the springs properly?
I thought it was just a matter of installing them.

Last edited by CanuckSS; 11-02-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I am very confused now. I have also purchased the TREX cam and am looking for springs. What Crane Double spring are you talking about. I can not find a single spring that is rated past .575. Is that not kinda risky for a .600+ lift Cam.