Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Oil Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Oil Pump Question

I had premature oil pump failure about 4k miles ago which I was able to persuade Gm to replace under warranty even though I had heads, cam, LT's, 4:10's etc. The pump stripped itself off the crank. My question is they just replaced it with a factory pump which I was tickled to death that they would even consider such after seeing all the mods. I don't feel safe with the factory pump and was curious what you guys are using. I haven't been on the board in quite a while but my car is an 01 SS M6, hand ported heads 224/224 .581 lift 113 lsa cam, LT's, tuned pcm and 4:10 gears.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

You can get a ported pump, but long as you don't have one of the problem prone 98 pumps then you should be ok.

What is your oil pressure at full operating temp, and what kind of oil?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by term
You can get a ported pump, but long as you don't have one of the problem prone 98 pumps then you should be ok.

What is your oil pressure at full operating temp, and what kind of oil?
I believe about 40psi at idle and it goes up to 60-80 driving down the road. I've use Mobil 1 10w30 since I first bought it. Tech said he honestly couldn't blame any of the mods that I had done but I'm thinking with the increased power demand and the 4:10 gears puts a little more strain on the factory pump. 1st gear is about worthless and it tacks up very quick. Have to be careful to keep from bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

I use Mobil1 10w30 and see 35-40 at full operating temp.

The 4.10s should not put more strain on the pump, they do not cause the flow of oil to be restricted.

I would say your setup is fine as it sits, if your pressure drops down below 30 at idle then you have problems. I forgot to ask, what does your car idle at?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you'll be fine. You don't have to have a "ported" oil pump. as long as it is a newer one it's ok IMO for your mods.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be a waste of money to put in a ported oil pump now, since you have a brand new oil pump in there, it's most likely an LS6 oil pump too.
When I did my cam swap, I put in a stock LS6 oil pump in there, didn't really see the need for a ported one. It idles at 45 psi, cruise at 60 psi, and WOT at 75. It's good enough.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
I think it would be a waste of money to put in a ported oil pump now, since you have a brand new oil pump in there, it's most likely an LS6 oil pump too.
When I did my cam swap, I put in a stock LS6 oil pump in there, didn't really see the need for a ported one. It idles at 45 psi, cruise at 60 psi, and WOT at 75. It's good enough.
Ok, but can you explain why the original pump stripped itself off of the crank? What happend is I got on it one day stopped at a light heard a ticking noise, immediately looked at my guages and discovered "0" oil pressure. I immediately shut it down and avoided costly damage but it has left me worried that the factory pump just isn't up to the task. Am I worrying for nothing or should I look for a stronger pump?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Allt he aftermarket pumps are stockers...they are just opened up a little on the inside. The gears and what not are still all the same as the production floor AFAIK. You have a freak. Unless your crank is screwed up there is probably a .00001% chance it will happen again.

take a chill pill ...
Old 11-01-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There isnt really an aftermarket pump for our cars so I would stay with the one they put in.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS3933
Ok, but can you explain why the original pump stripped itself off of the crank? What happend is I got on it one day stopped at a light heard a ticking noise, immediately looked at my guages and discovered "0" oil pressure. I immediately shut it down and avoided costly damage but it has left me worried that the factory pump just isn't up to the task. Am I worrying for nothing or should I look for a stronger pump?
I think you were just unfortunate to have a faulty oil pump. An oil pump stripping itself off the crank is not common at all, so the chance of that happening to you again is very slim IMHO.
Like guadofreak said, all aftermarket ported oil pumps are stockers anyway.
You are worrying for nothing.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

I have only seen a few oil pumps fail, and it always because a piece of metal from the motor got stuck in the blades and stopped the pump. Stock engine blocks have debris and casting flash that can break off and fall into the oil system. That is one possible explanation for your pump failure.
Phase 1 of my new engine build is to de-burr the block first.

99 C5 Road Racer
Old 11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

mellings makes an aftermarket oil pump for the ls1/ls6. It has a tougher case material and coated gears that cannot be instaled upside down. THe stock pumps have a chamfer (and a dot) on one side only, if you don't install the gear right on the stock ones they WILL Lock up. The mellings are a bad dude. I now port and use them.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by B3Enterprise
mellings makes an aftermarket oil pump for the ls1/ls6. It has a tougher case material and coated gears that cannot be instaled upside down. THe stock pumps have a chamfer (and a dot) on one side only, if you don't install the gear right on the stock ones they WILL Lock up. The mellings are a bad dude. I now port and use them.
do you have a part number and vendor for that pump??

is it the m295?

Last edited by gen 3 bu; 11-03-2004 at 06:16 PM.