Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problem

Ok this is the problem. The Oil Pressure starts off fine when i start the car at about 40, after about 10 min. of driving it goes down to 30. Now if i drive it longer it has dropped down to 20 on me once. Im not really driving my car right now because of those problems. I did a search and didnt really find anything helpfull. Other posts had guys that didnt change their oil pump or o-ring during a cam swap. I have done no kind of work around the oil pump on my car. The only thing was this started after i got a new flywheel put on my car and they had to drop the transmission which i dont think would have anything to do with it. The current oil pump was put on last year when i did the cam swap. anybody know what is going on? do i need a new pump already?
Old 11-06-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

What kind of oil are you using? What RPMS did it go down to when it hit 20 psi? My car will go low as 20 when its about to die (Tuning issues with my cam)
Old 11-13-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

i totally forgot i made this post. So to answer the oil question i always used valvoline synthetic but this last time when the pressure problem started i changed the oil with mobil synthetic and it didnt make a difference. Anyways i took it in to get it checked and it was diagnosed as having a bad sending unit. They put a new one in and it ran fine back home. that was fri night. this morning i took it to work fine but when i got off of work, driving home, i noticed the pressure dropped again. It went down to the lowest 25. Please tell me my bearings arent getting worn out......
Old 11-14-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

bumb, someone has to know whats wrong with my engine.......
Old 11-14-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine did pretty much exactly what you're describing before I replaced the oil pump and the o-ring on the oil pick-up tube. I think it was more the o-ring than the pump, but when you get the engine that far apart, you might as well replace them both.

-Mike
Old 11-14-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

i guess that can be a possibility, i just find it strange that this is happening now after i got my flywheel replaced. And also the fact that ive had the current pump on for a year now with no problem. Seems kind of strange that it would already be acting like this. This all just seems strange....
Old 11-14-2004, 04:10 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

It says in your sig you have a rollmaster double roller, and then in your post you say you've had no work done around the oil pump. The oil pump is removed to install that double roller, and there are some oil pump shims you need to use (and I beleive use RTV to seal) when you install a double roller. Maybe that has something to do with the pressure, oil could possibly be leaking from the shimmed oil ports (maybe sealer wasnt used?).

Or, it could be you have contaminants in your oil...namely coolant. That'd thin it out and cause the lower pressure. It could also be that your bearings are just wearing with miles....at 90-100k miles, the pressure you describe wouldnt be *that* abnormal.

And finally, it could be the pump going out, or a crimped o-ring finally tearing through and letting go a little.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmX
It says in your sig you have a rollmaster double roller, and then in your post you say you've had no work done around the oil pump. The oil pump is removed to install that double roller, and there are some oil pump shims you need to use (and I beleive use RTV to seal) when you install a double roller. Maybe that has something to do with the pressure, oil could possibly be leaking from the shimmed oil ports (maybe sealer wasnt used?).
Yea i know, That was done last year with the cam install. Ive had no work done recently around that area, thats why im really concerned
Originally Posted by jmX
Or, it could be you have contaminants in your oil...namely coolant. That'd thin it out and cause the lower pressure. It could also be that your bearings are just wearing with miles....at 90-100k miles, the pressure you describe wouldnt be *that* abnormal..
I just did an oil change like 2 weeks ago, im pretty posotive i didnt leak any coolant in it. And my car has 69,000 i hope the bearings arent going out already, i really hope not......

Originally Posted by jmX
And finally, it could be the pump going out, or a crimped o-ring finally tearing through and letting go a little.
After 1 year? But i would take that over the bearings being worn.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jmX

Or, it could be you have contaminants in your oil...namely coolant. That'd thin it out and cause the lower pressure. It could also be that your bearings are just wearing with miles....at 90-100k miles, the pressure you describe wouldnt be *that* abnormal.

All of these points are excellent and of course correct, but one step further send a sample of your oil to a lab to be checked for abnormal amounts of bearing material etc.