Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide ... heads vs all else ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Trying to decide ... heads vs all else ????

What do you think is the best decision for my current cam setup from the choices below?

1. Stall converter, LT's, 100 HP dry shot (with injector and fuel pump upgrade)

2. Stage 2 heads to compliment my TR220/220 .551/.551 112 cam kit?

My particular application is for the street and some occasional fun at the dragstrip. My car will probably never see a larger cam. I don't want to lose much streetability and I don't care much about emissions testing.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 11-07-2004 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Missing info
Old 11-07-2004, 08:44 AM
MKS
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 but why a TQ for the street with your mild cam ? if i were you id get nitto drag radials insted of the TQ
Old 11-07-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A torque convertor will give you more of a gain than heads will at this point, at least SOTP feeling.

Shawn
Old 11-07-2004, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

u r not going to get the full benefit out of the stage 2 heads with the feminine cam you have , i suggest a HEAD CAM combo , with TQ ... now ull be in the safe side .

between ur choices ill suggest the TQ with the 100 shot ... why not the head choice, because it is hard to spend the headS money with ur current cam .. u should try the stage 2E head and the x1 cam comobo from MTI they work perfect , with good streetability ... anyways ur current cam has a 112 LSA which got little rough ideal .
Old 11-07-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the stall and then LT's.

Bill
Old 11-07-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Does everyone agree that the TR custom grind cam in my sig (just for the street) is a feminine cam? I did my research very well before I went that route. A LOT of members here said they had this as their very first cam and loved it. I'm not racing over 100 mph on the street, so, I bought this cam kit from TR on a 112 LSA ... to be able to have more torque down low as opposed to up top. It makes power from 1500-6500 rpm, so, compared to the stock LS1 cam, I hardly think it's feminine. I do know (on an overall scale) that it is a mild-to-medium cam. On a cam scale of 1-10, it's a 4.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would give it about a 2. It's one of the smallest aftermarket cams you can get. Get a converter, no question about it.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Spray,convertor and tires! Everyone is right, get a alot bigger cam with the S2 heads when you get them!!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's considered a "baby cam" but is as big as I'd
likely go, too. Name-calling aside, point is that it's
just barely going to top out your LS1 heads and
no need to go super-size. Certainly better bargains
than "Stage 2 anything" if you intend to stay at
that plateau. Converter will pay off every day,
around town; headers too. I think in this case
heads really only would show when you are WOT.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

... nice synopsis JB. I agree totally ... guess a stall converter is coming next. I believe I'll keep the JBA shorties, though, and spend the money on injectors, Walbro, and Nitrous 150 shot ... will even leave me enough cash for a tune. Maybe I can have the LS1 heads CNC ported way down the road someday. They say stockers are turning some damned good numbers.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:21 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your cam is fine, it fits your application as i remember what you were looking for when you first started your cam research.

with "stg2" heads and your ls6 intake your engine will only see about ~275cfm @.600 asumming there a good set. your 220 can take full advantage of that.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Default ... target goals

Coming from JRP, I don't think I need further clarification ... always good the hear from the seniors here. I was looking for experienced members who can give me some good practical advice, based on my particular application goals. Thanks to everybody for the feedback. Feel free to continue to comment if you like.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I will agree that your cam is fine there are others that will provide more power ,but it will be a good all around cam for a lot of people. Heads I think they would be a good gain believe it or not they have been for a lot of friends cars with some smaller cams etc. But based off of money I would go converter and then look for some long tubes. Tuning will help any vehicle stock or other wise. Good luck! Everyone has there own ideas of streetable so just go off of what you consider and not others.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will get more bang for the buck with a TQ.i have the TR22O @114lsa and like it a lot.with your 3.73 rear i would go with a 3000 to 3200 stall,no more if you don't like a loose converter(3000 is plenty for me).trust me,it will feel like you have an extra 75hp off the line with a good TQ.if your states emissions laws allow them,i would also go with LT's to get the most out of your cam.oh yeah,your going to need some drag radials to hook up,you'll just roast your street tires with a TQ.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Does everyone agree that the TR custom grind cam in my sig (just for the street) is a feminine cam? I did my research very well before I went that route. A LOT of members here said they had this as their very first cam and loved it. I'm not racing over 100 mph on the street, so, I bought this cam kit from TR on a 112 LSA ... to be able to have more torque down low as opposed to up top. It makes power from 1500-6500 rpm, so, compared to the stock LS1 cam, I hardly think it's feminine. I do know (on an overall scale) that it is a mild-to-medium cam. On a cam scale of 1-10, it's a 4.

yep....it's a b*tch cam..... (j/k)

that cam is fine if thats what you want.......I (and most people) just want more lope and stuff.......

I would go with a TQ and then LT headers before I did a set of heads (if I had your car)........
Old 11-08-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Default My Bitch Cam !!!!

That was funny ... LOL! Yeah, it's not the biggest power-maker in the world and I couldn't tell any major difference when the cam was installed, but, it felt much better when I installed the ported/polished TB and the LS6 intake. I think it's probably because they complimented the cam and kinda' woke it up a bit as a sytem. Yep, I'm convinced to do the verter next ... probably won't do LT's unless I go with a larger cam in the future. I know the gain is tremendous up top with LT's, but, I would rather have the extra few lbs of torque down low for now... shooting for a better 0-60' time. I say this because I have a '99. If I had a '00-'02, I would not have even bothered with the shorties, but, they did me some good with what was scavenged down low.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
probably won't do LT's unless I go with a larger cam in the future. I know the gain is tremendous up top with LT's, but, I would rather have the extra few lbs of torque down low for now... shooting for a better 0-60' time. I say this because I have a '99. If I had a '00-'02, I would not have even bothered with the shorties, but, they did me some good with what was scavenged down low.
actually you will make MUCH more torque with the LTs than you are making with the shorties (shorties suck really bad for everything).......you will have gains ALL OVER.....

I bet it really jumped up with the LS6 manifold and a ported TB helps on anything. Heads will do a good bit also but not without the LTs as you can't get the exhaust out.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

I was in total shock when I drove it after the installation of the ported TB and LS6 intake. There were several people here who thought I would only gain 15-20 RWHP with both installs, but, I think it made the cam produce more HP than the actual upgrades themselves. The overall feel of power was simply unbelievable. I'll soon have it dyno'd and post the results from my last dyno, as well.

As for the shporties vs LT's, I still believe that shorties will scavenge just a little better down low than the LT's. I've done a lot of research on the issue and the dyno's show 2-3 lbs RWTQ down low ... to improve 0-60' times over LT's. Of course the LT's quickly make tremendously more RWHP/RWTQ mid-to-high end. As stated before, the '99 year models make ****-for-power compared to the '00-'02 cars, so, I wouldn't have even wasted time with the JBA shorties if I had a 00'-02' car. The very small gain would not have been worth it.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The long tube headers will really beef up the
midrange torque; long tubes and mids get closer
at the higher RPM where it all just about the
pipes' raw flow but tuned LTs bring you up, over
more of the RPM range. Couple this with a
converter, and "what's low end?" - you will be
up out of the mud into the fat part of the torque
curve, at any throttle at all.