Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp too cool??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp too cool??

I just finish a head, cam and rocker job a week ago. Car run's great and is much strong thougth the rpm range. I also replaced and installed a 160T-stat.

I've notice the water temp, ofcource much cooler- in the range of 170-182 at idle(182) 170-180 running in town or highway; But my oil temp is also cooler.
It use to run 200-205 normal driving-read very normal driving... It did get to 225-230 with very quick driving and a 1 or 2 1/4 mile run's.
But now the oil temp run's 175-185 with normal driving and i can only get the oil up to 195 to maybe 200 with the same sprited drving as before.
I know with cooler oil, things will wear less, but I've been told that you need to get the oil to 200-210 to boil off any water(humitidy) in the oil.. With winter fast approching and I will be storing my Z. I was thing of starting her once a month and letting her run for 20 -30min's and ofcource connecting a triccal charge to the battery.
Question is this oil too cool for burnning off water condensation with the oil- Should i be concerned by this or I'm i ok.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

it's a little cool......it's best to be able to heat the system up to the 210 area to get the water out........

I wouldn't worry about it though.....if anything just change your oil a little sooner........it's not like you have an oil cooler that is "over cooling" the system......it's kind of hard to push more heat into the oil without making more HP and I wouldn't wantto give up the cool water temps.....
Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Interesting article on coolant (and a note or two about oil temp) here:

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...0ARTICLES.HTML

Last three pages up from the bottom...
Old 11-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Well according to that article, i might need to replace my oil more frequently. As is, I replace my oil every 2-2.5K with synthic oil that this. I just tried Royal Purple oil. Anyone try this oil??
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Opinions on oil are like a$...well you know the rest..
The common consensus on the BEST oil currently available is, if I recall correctly: #1 Castrol 0w-30 (German mfg'd)
#2 Mobil 1 0w-40 or Amsoil 5w-30
#3 one of the "racing" Royal Purple blends (don't remember which)

I'm sure someone will suggest that you "use the search function" for oil info. Changing the oil that often, you shouldn't have to worry about contaminents not getting thoroughly burned off though.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
it's a little cool......it's best to be able to heat the system up to the 210 area to get the water out........
You can still get the water out of the oil even if it's temps are below 210, it just takes a lot longer. It's still best if you can get the oil temp over 190 though. When you run cooler oil temps, it takes a lot longer for the moisture to evaporate from your oil, so you need to take much longer trips.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Launching!

ok.. longer trips, or change oil more frequently.. not too much of a problem..

How about winter storage issues:
I was planning on starting the engine once a month, for 20 -30 mins.. The oil temp will not get above 175-180... can this be a problem???

where did someone read, than Castrol oil is the best oil.. I've hear of others..
I've used Mobile 1-very happy and now I'm trying Royal purple..
Old 11-10-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jz06man
ok.. longer trips, or change oil more frequently.. not too much of a problem..

How about winter storage issues:
I was planning on starting the engine once a month, for 20 -30 mins.. The oil temp will not get above 175-180... can this be a problem???

[/size][/font]
It's not a good idea to start the engine and just idle it like that. I would only start the engine if you're going to be driving the car for at least a half hour. Otherwise just leave it unstarted. When I had my 98 Formula I used to store it in the winter and one winter it went 4 whole months without being started, and in the spring it fired up first crank and ran smoothly right off the bat.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Patman
It's not a good idea to start the engine and just idle it like that. I would only start the engine if you're going to be driving the car for at least a half hour. Otherwise just leave it unstarted. When I had my 98 Formula I used to store it in the winter and one winter it went 4 whole months without being started, and in the spring it fired up first crank and ran smoothly right off the bat.
Same advise I hear (and follow) in the motorcycle world...