Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle H beams VS Callies I beam

Old 11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Eagle H beams VS Callies I beam

Alright, so im building my motor, and someone told me that the callies I beam would better hold the kind of hp im predicting. With a twin turbo application, which rod would better hold up? Ive been told that the callies I beam is an exception to the rule that H beam is better...i need some input. I know eagle H beams are strong, what i want to know is which rod is stronger. Because i already know someone is going to say dont worry you wont break an eagle. I want to know if the more expensive callies I beam is actually infact stronger. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are stronger, just depends on what you want to spend and have in your engine.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

im sorry, i dont mean to be a smart *** but, "they are stronger" they = callies?

i assume thats what you mean, but im just so confused as to why they are, it goes against every thing ive been taught about engines.

thanks for the reply Bo.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

The Callies are stronger as long as its the billet rod. The regular forged I beams are not as strong as the H beams you see from Eagle/Scat or others. We had a simular thread on here about this, probably search " Eagle Lunati rods". Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i saw that thread, but people just went back and forth saying yes no yes no. I always search first. I wanted actual facts, which i was able to get from nick at APE...

Ok here is one good point that any engine builder can't argue with. Most,
and I mean about 99% of the LS1 engines people build use a traditional
offset SBC rod. The Callies rod is a true on-center rod designed
specifically for this engine.

Nick is great over there, very knowledable and very friendly. Hes helped me out a lot with this venture of mine.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

I can see that, the only thing is if there is no clearance issues with the SBC rod I do not see any perfomance advantage with an on center one-although it would be technically correct to use such rod since one exists.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

My mechanic and i just cant understand the physics of it. Beleive me im not calling you or anyone a liar, i just dont understand how the construction of it can out "perform" an H beam...im sure its simple i just dont understand how. Like i said, same metal, H beam design is stronger, period. so i assume its a better metal being used? even if so, im lost as to why the lesser designed rod is stronger than the better desgined rod...bo once again thanks for your help.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I think the H-beam would be stronger too, but on one of the threads I seen where someone had talked to Lunati and was just going on their theory on what was stronger and that being the I beam. Something about the design of it weight wise was stronger-material being the same. I guess every manufacturer has their own theories on stuff and that is what makes them different from everone else.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah this is ridiclous, i read the same thread. i saw the thing about the compisiiton of the metal, however ive talked to a few engine builders around here, and they are clueless as to why an I beam would ever be stronger than an H beam. I apprecaite your input bo. anyone else have any info to bring to the table?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Callies stuff...I believe its the lightest/strongest but I dont know for sure...except for something like Carillo etc...
Why dont you call Callies and ask?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

I agree, I have noticed that some things asked about on this site have no arguements about what works and what doesnt and then there will be a simple thread simular to this and have 2 or 3 guys going round and round lol. I suggested the billet I beams over the H beams on my first post simply based on what I have read on here and not based on my personal opinion which is the H beams. I guess I bandwagoned on it.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would call callies but i doubt they will say our rods are weaker and same thing for eagle. And yeah bo, i know, ive seen back and forth, but youre right from everything ive read! But youre right, servey says callies i beam, but as i said, every old timer i have spoken with and including engine builders around here dont agree and are asking me "why" and i mentioned the off center, and they went back and forth with well depends on what is off center lol.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

I went with Carillo rods in the motor Im building. They are supposedly the lightest and strongest on the market. Just to throw another twist in your plans
Old 11-12-2004, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Zach,

Chris @ APE told me that the Callies rods were made by Howard's. My buddy has Howard's billet rods (except SBC, 421 CI) in his True Street 67 Camaro. We have sprayed 500 HP of N20 @ it for 2 long seasons of racing and have never had a problem with the rods and don't expect to either. The car runs consistent 5.50's @ 130 mph in the 1/8. I think you are getting too caught up in the shape, etc of the rod.

Tim
Old 11-12-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N20Silverado
Zach,

Chris @ APE told me that the Callies rods were made by Howard's. My buddy has Howard's billet rods (except SBC, 421 CI) in his True Street 67 Camaro. We have sprayed 500 HP of N20 @ it for 2 long seasons of racing and have never had a problem with the rods and don't expect to either. The car runs consistent 5.50's @ 130 mph in the 1/8. I think you are getting too caught up in the shape, etc of the rod.

Tim
That is a billet rod. Totally different game there...

All of this is speculation until someone test each rod to failure. Both are extremely strong. I have seen Eagle rods on 1000+ HP engines that were just fine. The only thing done is upgrade to the L19 bolt.

Either way, I think you are splitting hairs on the strength issue. The difference in strengths is probably not worth mentioning...

JMHO,
Old 11-12-2004, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon
That is a billet rod. Totally different game there...

All of this is speculation until someone test each rod to failure. Both are extremely strong. I have seen Eagle rods on 1000+ HP engines that were just fine. The only thing done is upgrade to the L19 bolt.

Either way, I think you are splitting hairs on the strength issue. The difference in strengths is probably not worth mentioning...

JMHO,
I was comparing billet to billet. I didn't know that Callies offered a non-billet rod. I don't know how much the Callies rods are selling for, but when I priced the Howard's BILLET rods they were around $700. That is a hell of a deal for a LS1 specefic, BILLET rod that I have seen take a hell of alot of abuse and not fail.

Here is their website. Check it out or call them.

http://www.howardscams.com/howardsra...rdsracing.html

Tim
Old 11-12-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Callies are a better rod then an eagle, I have used callies. Short story.... Callies PRO1 rod was actully made by Power Detroit. Power detroit sold this rod to callies as the Pro 1, Trickflow as the trickflow billet rod, and CP as the Ultimate duty billet. Anyways, Power detroit burned down and stop making the rods, Howards bought them out and now make the rod.
Also, I would have to say I-BEAM IS THE STRONGEST ROD! All top name dragracers AND engine builders use some brand of I-BEAM rod, either Crower billet, or Oliver billet. Also The Aluminum rods wich are not as strong a steel rod if made the same size, use an I-BEAM design. And those are used in TOP FUEL cars!!! So my vote would be an I-BEAM rod for ULTIMATE strength!
Old 11-12-2004, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much power do you plan on making? I would choose on wieght or price, cause its gonna take some crazy powe to break either.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn this is intereresting, the Callies rods are about 700 bucks or so and I was also told that they are stronger but I did not ask why, I was just using the get what you pay for theory. I hope some engine builders come in and comment on this.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Also, to elaborate on what I said. I have had the best(Crower billets) and when compared to the callies/howards billet rods, the crower are a little beefier in the beem area, I mic'd them side by side at the time, and They were very close. I actually talked to the engineer that designed the callies/howards rods and they went through some really tough testing and had one failure... A rod bolt only!, so they upgraded the bolts and could not break them! In strength they are probably right under a Crower, and Crowers have been tested to almost 2000 hp in a SBC. Crower/oliver/Lunati, Are all overpriced and just raping us to death!
Believe it or not, The callies/Power detroit/trickflow/Howards billet rods only used to be $550!!!!!! The engineer at Power Detroit told me they had to raise the price because nobody trusted the rods because they were to cheaply priced!(with the "you get what you pay for thing") Can you believe that! Kinda pisses me off how the rod manufacturers get away with such ungodly high prices. I am gonna run Howards in my 1000+ hp TT LS1!

Last edited by nitrorocket; 11-12-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eagle H beams VS Callies I beam