Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads/cam or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heads/cam or supercharger

Hey everyone. I usually post over at cz28.com or tulsafbody.com, but I've been doing some thinking and may have stumbled on a thought I should've thought about a long time ago. Right now, I can run 12.8's in my car all day long. I know it has a 12.6 in it, and will be back at the track soon to prove it. I hit the rev limiter in every gear, and had a FILTHY air filter. So, I cleaned the air filter, opened up the air box, and reprogrammed my shift points with predator. Anyways, my car's still not fast enough. I want my car to run mid 10's someday when I'm finished. I plan on doing that by a supercharger and heads/cam combo. Anyways, a supercharger (8# procharger) goes for around 5000. That is a lot. What I was thinking of doing for a while, was a heads/cam for now, then later, get the supercharger and then swap out the cam for a supercharger cam. I have the predator so programming isn't an issue. What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: heads/cam or supercharger

I woud go ahead and get the heads cam but I would go ahead and get a blower cam it should not hut the performance and you will all ready have it in when u ge the blower
Old 04-10-2003, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

and get a tq. converter... u'll drop a half second with good tires... u'd be in low 12's now i bet...
Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

with converter alone, I should be in low 12's if not high 11's. With heads/cam I'm looking for low 11's. If I'm correct, heads don't matter whether you do a supercharger or heads/cam, correct? how much gain will I get by going with a NA cam vs. a cam made for a supercharger? and will a supercharger cam ever hurt my motor? Lets say theoretically I change my mind, and never supercharge my car, could I keep running with the blower cam, or will I have problems? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:17 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Those times sound so easy, I should go to your track for my ET!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Mike I sent you a PM. I think we met before at NE DYNO, good be wrong but check your pm's in the my profile area
Old 04-11-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Last: The track here in OK is GREAT!!! I am pulling off 2.0 60' here, on Dunlop SP Sport street tires. And when I ran my last 12.8, it was about 72 degrees out, I hit the rev limiter in EVERY gear, my air filter was FILTHY (Went from 12.9 to 12.8 just by hand patting out my air filter) and my timing wasn't adjusted to full potential. Going back to track soon. Will come back with some better times.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do the blower first. Doing a heads cam setup for a blower is very different from a heads cam na. Instead of increasing compression you want to lower it for more boost. The cam does not have to be huge either, and it should have a longer exhaust duration. I went into it thinking the same way as you and blew my engine on the heads cam before I was able to put in the blower. Now I am just doing a 422 na. Get the blower D1SC from ati and get some 6.0L heads down the road. You could probably find some used cores on the board for cheap. It will net you a lot more power and be more drivable than some of these huge heads and cams people are doing these days.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:01 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'd get the blower and a good 3500stall converter.

Most good Procharger installs i have seen on mostly stock cars run 470rwhp!

With a good stall and the blower 10s are a possibility if you can hook up. You can then later do the heads/cam if you wish. But you will need a good dyno tuning session with LS1 Edit.

The cool thing about the blower is you make tons of power 24/7 AND it is smog legal.

Wish I would have done that before I bought my heads/cam. Too many issues that I am still trying to fix.