Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating cause?

My wife's car got up to the red mark on coolant temp, around 260F. Ambient temp was around 40F, and it happened cruising along at about 60mph. My first guess is the thermostat, so I pulled the old one out and am boiling it and a new one, to see if they open at the same temp by the same amount.

I guess if this doesn't work, I'll replace the water pump. Might as well put a new cam in, while I'm at it

Any advice on what it might be besides t-stat or waterpump, or how to diagnose either? The coolant level was fine, I don't know what else to check.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

T-stat, pump, or air pocket in the system.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Was the fan running? My 3rd gen Camaro did this intermittantly. Sometimes when it hit the right temp, the fan just wouldn't turn on.

The radiator developed a crack too, I could see some dried coolant on one side of it. Oddly, when I took it to a radiator shop, they pressure tested things, and told me it was fine. It wasn't until my fan didn't turn on that I hit redline. Popping the hood, I saw coolant pouring from the crack. Replaced the radiator, and had my fans wired to always run when the car is on. Worked for me.